Chapter 10

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of suitcases being dropped in my room. My eyes shot open and I sat up. My stuffed rabbit, Halo, was lying at the foot of the bed. I picked up the soft white rabbit and hugged him. The only good memory I remembered perfectly was getting him for my fourth birthday. Mom wasn't so much of an alcoholic and she actually smiled. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if Dad was even there. My memory was disrupted by a knock on the door, "Sarah," Asher's exhausted voice muttered, "Cedrick says it's time to go to the station." It obvious that he didn't get much sleep the night before.
     "I'll be down in a minute. I just need to get dressed." I replied, hearing his slow and tired steps going downstairs. I quickly got dressed, picked up Halo, and ran downstairs. Asher was sitting at the table with his backpack in his lap. Our belongings must've been dropped off while I was sleeping. "Excited?" I asked, quickly grabbing a glass and pouring myself some milk.
"I can't even explain how excited I am." He said, sarcastically. I smirked and sat down at the table, staring outside.
"I'm more nervous than anything. What if they're that kind of family? I mean the perfect family." I couldn't help but laugh at this. What kind of person--who has had a terrible time in life--be worried about having a good family? He glared at me and put his head in his arms,"I'm being serious." His voice muffled in his arm.
     "I think we've lucked out on one thing: no one and no family is perfect." He looked up to glare at me again.
      "We haven't even met these people. It would also be great if you could not talk right now because my head is literally spinning from lack of sleep." He complained, putting his hands over his face. The door opened and Cedrick quickly came inside to grab our bags.
"Be ready in five minutes." He called before shutting the door. Asher took a deep breath and stared at the clock. I sat down and stared at him.

"I'm just trying to be positive. I'd rather be excited about something than be worried about everything else going on...you know?" We were walking to the car and I was only getting these ticked off looks from him. I remembered the argument we had before we met the people we would soon call our "parents". You really know how to make a person angry...even your own brother can't stand you. My head felt as if it were filled with shards of glass, stabbing the sides of my head, leaving me with an agonizing headache. "Asher, I'm sorry...I'm not thinking straight." There was no other way I arrange my apology. I made it sound dull and simple, too simple. It was an apology I used all the time.

"Why're you sorry, you're just excited." He didn't look at me, almost like he was ashamed of me.  I was more than excited--I was exhilarated, but also guilty. I lost my mother and now I'm so excited to get away from the sadness that it's making me feel so guilty...what's wrong with me?  My thoughts were starting to spiral out of control. Why was I acting like this?

"I shouldn't be...it's terrible to be so excited to move on so soon with life after losing Mom." I was starting to feel guilt pierce my chest like a bullet.

"Well, then you just have bad timing. I don't blame you for wanting to start over, but you can't just rush yourself like this. It's not healthy." He finally looked at me, softening his disquiet eyes. 

"I don't want to grief anymore--I mean I do--but I want to look forward to something to give me hope." Our conversation had started out as a whisper, but now it was turning into another argument. Asher gave me another indignant look and stared out his window. Maybe I should've been at least a little nervous. It was strange, knowing that I haven't met them and not knowing who they were, yet I was acting like the most excited person in the world--it didn't feel too great...thinking about it constantly made me feel sick, lightheaded even. I gazed out my window, waiting for the dizziness to leave.