Chapter One: Assignment.

Rolling a stick of gum around in her mouth, Josie eyes me up and down. Hand draped over the back of her chair, lounging back comfortably; she seems completely at ease. Her auburn hair now faded into a silvery grey, scraped back in a tight bun, dressed in an crisp, ironed suit, her appearance lives up to her name. Eyes almost a glittering black, they scan over me, making me feel exposed.

"So you're the infamous Christina Jones." She lets out a bitter laugh, and I feel a prickle of anger. "You don't look like much."

"It's not exactly the looks that matter," I say defensively. "It's the work I get done."

A smile plays on her lips. "I wouldn't be too sure. Looks can do a lot- they can deceive people to believe you're someone else. They're very useful when keeping up a false pretence. And," she adds, in a cool tone, "a girl like you is going to need every defence she has."

I bite back the snarky reply that threatens to spill out, remembering the prestige this woman holds.

Giving a stiff nod of approval at my silence, she slides across a bound folder, thick with documents, across her desk to land at my fingertips. My mouth waters at the amount of information this one folder keeps. Information that could ruin a person's status and send them tumbling to the ground, just as easily as it could rise them to a position of power, above anyone else.

"Your assignment is simple." She drums her bony fingers on the wooden surface, impatiently. "To find out as much as you can about One Direction."

The name rings a bell of familiarity in my head. Straining my mind to remember, it floods back to me. "The boy band?"

"The internationally famous boy band," she says with emphasis on the word 'internationally'. "But despite their fame, they've managed to keep a low profile from the media these past few months. We're shrivelling up from the lack of information- we need something, anything worth printing."

I nod, surprised by the fierce tone in her voice. I share her thirst for knowledge. "Do you want me to dig deep?"

"Do whatever you can. Rummage for secrets, juicy pieces of detail they've never told anyone. I want you, Miss Jones, to get to the heart of One Direction."

A/N: So that was my brief introduction to this story. Think of it as almost a prologue. I read a story with the same jist; the idea of a journalist getting involved with One Direction. And if I'm honest, it appealed to me.

Let me know what you think. :)