Prologue

A young teenage girl stood in front of a mirror wearing minimal clothing, examining her body. There were several bruises and self-inflicted scrapes covering most of her arms and legs. Some of the bruises were larger, some smaller, but they had all came from the same source. It was difficult for her to explain why she did not run from the thing that continued to cause them. Instead, she simply hid them.

        The girl swept her long blonde hair back behind her shoulders and sighed softly as she began to dress further. She looked around and opened the curtains slightly to let in the early morning sunlight. She turned and looked at the cluttered desk in the corner of the room. She approached the desk and sat down in the wooden chair.

         Among the clutter was a letter addressed to her aunt. The envelope was slightly yellowish brown due to a coffee stain. She opened the unsealed envelope and unfolded the letter. At first, she glanced up at the date. November 17th, 2016. That had been nearly two months ago now. She began to read the letter:

Dear Aunt Wendy,
Over the past few years things have increasingly become rougher in my life. Though, I never confided in you these things. I do not know why it has taken me so long to see clearly, or what I am to do with myself now that I am alone. I do not know where to go, or what to do. I simply know that I must leave this place, because there is nothing left for me here. Nor will there probably be much here for me in the future.
Therefore, I had decided to run away. I know this is not the best choice, but I am on my own know and do not know what I should do. I have been offered a place to stay, it's with Lucas. A few towns away, but if I can get a ride it's only a twenty-minute ride.  I do not know if I will be staying there, but I know that I will continue to write to you, because now you are the only person I can confide in.
I know that dropping out should not be an option, but things have gotten so bad an education is the least of my worries. I am currently staying in a motel room, and I will not be at this address much longer. I've decided I am heading a few towns over to stay with Lucas for now, or at least until I can get a job to obtain money to go elsewhere. I will try my best to write back when I receive your letters.
Sincerely,
                     Serenity Mayr

        She tucked the letter away back into the envelope and looked at the pile she had found the letter in. There were several letters laying there, most from her aunt, all of which she had opened, but had not responded too. She sighed softly and leaned back in the chair. She looked around at the rest of the cluttered area. Photographs, letters and notebooks took up most of the space.