Chapter 4 - Bark Worse Than Bite

I wake up to sunlight streaming in my window. Groaning, I roll over and put a patterned pillow on my face to block it. Suddenly, I remember it is, in fact, only Friday, not Saturday. I bolt out of my bed and grab the first pieces of clothing I touch. I race out of my room and down the hallway to our only bathrrom, expecting a line. Tentatively, I knock on the door. Getting no response, I figure it's safe to enter. "Strange..." I mutter to myself.

I lock the door and strip down, turning the shower on. I step in and adjust to the hot water. After a few minutes, I remember I'm in a rush. I lather my head in coconut shampoo and rinse it out quickly. Next comes my peony conditioner. I repeat the process and pick up my peach bodywash, covering myself in it. After washing it off, I soap up my legs and armpits and shave them.

I do a final rinse off and step out of the shower, immediately cocooning myself in my towel. I apply vanilla lotion to my legs and elbows before putting on the clothes, which turn out to be grey soccer sweatpants and a tie-dyed t-shirt. Not exactly high fashion, but at least it's comfortable and matches. I put my dirty blonde hair up in a low ponytail with a green elastic. Not having enough time for elaborate make up, I apply a bit of mascara and some chapstick. My blue eyes have bags underneath them, so I put on concealer too. Walking out of the bathroom, I trip over the threshold before finally making it downstairs.

Instead of seeing what I expected, which is Mikayla at the table eating knock-off Fruit Loops, Owen leaning against the wall munching on an egg sandwitch, and my mum desprately trying to get Nick to eat some sort of mush called baby food, I only see my mum sitting at the table drinking coffee and working on her computer. She looks up and her eyes widen.

"What are you doing up?" she asks. I roll my eyes.

"You don't have to wake me up every morning." Realization dawns in her eyes and she laughs.

"Juliet, it's St George's Day. You've no school." Now it's my eyes that widen.

"You're shitting me..." I say.

"Watch your language, and no. It's April 23rd. You haven't got school."

"Really."

"Yes, that's why your siblings are sleeping."

"So I did all this," I say gesturing to my clothing and wet hair, "for no reason."

"Quite." I sigh.

"Well, I'm going back to bed.

"Juliet, you and I both know you won't be able to fall back asleep. It's already ten o'clock, actually. Why don't you go do something?" I snort.

"What is there for me to do? I have no-" she cuts me off.

"What about Jackson? He's your friend." I sigh.

"But-"

"Juliet, you need to get out of the house. You never leave-" I start to protest, but she puts her hand up to silence me. "School and work do not count. You need to go out and have some fun. Do something fun. Please." I sigh, this time in defeat.

"Fine," I grudgingly agree. My mum smiles.

"Good." I trudge off to my room and check my phone. I have several texts from Jackson:

Hey

Hey

Hey

Heeeeeey.

Juliet?

Are you mad at me?

Oh god, what did I do now?

Whatever it is, I'm sorry

If you don't answer in 10 minutes, I'm coming to abduct you.

Okay, I'm omw