Chapter Two

~continued~

Alex and Ryuu talked to Sam a lot and they seemed to know each other well already. The lunch bell rang.

"Just on time! I'm starving!" Alex gasped.

Sam giggled which made Alex smile.

"It's been a while since I saw you laugh, cousin!" Brigette joined in the conversation. 

Sam smiled shyly and cleared her throat. Ever since her mother died, she stopped laughing. She does, though, but only on rare occasions. 

"Hey, guys, I scored 4 tickets from my father yesterday!" Ryuu suddenly said, reaching into his bag.

Ryuu handed a ticket to Sam, Alex and Brigette.

"West Coast Fair." Brigette read. "Oh, I remember! Sam, didn't we ride on a rollercoaster in West Coast Fair when we were eight?"

"I don't remember anything at all." Sam gloomed, keeping the ticket in her jacket pocket.

Alex and Ryuu whispered to Brigette, "What's with her?"

Brigette smiled and laughed.

"She's afraid of rollercoasters. Plus, she lost her mother that day." Brigette whispered back sadly, careful not to let Sam hear what they were talking about. "We went home after that day. I knew about it the moment her dad called."

Brigette sighed, shaking her head sadly. Ryuu patted Sam on the head.

"Don't worry, Sam. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun there." Ryuu said with an understanding smile.

At first Sam was stunned then she smiled shyly.

"And if you're terrified of rollercoasters, we'll ride with you!" Alex joked.

"Who told you I was terrified of rollercoasters?!?" Sam snapped.

"You are though!" Brigette teased.

"Am not!" Sam replied.

They all laughed. Brigette looked at Sam happily. I'm glad you've found happiness again, cousin, she thought happily. But you may need my help one day this week.

As they entered the West Coast Fair, Sam stared scarily at the rollercoaster.

"Um, what are we gonna do first?" Sam gulped.

"Ride the rollercoaster?" Brigette suggested, linking her arm with Sam's. "Don't worry, it'll be just like old times!"

"Uh," Sam said, retrieving her arm. "I think I'll pass."

"Why?" Ryuu asked with sad eyes.

"Eh," Sam whimpered. "I can't, I just can't ride it!"

Alex patted her shoulder.

"C'mon, I'll go with you." Alex said with a warm smile.

Sam blushed and smiled back. They approached the man near the rollercoaster's entrance. To Sam's disappointment, she rode with Brigette while Alex and Ryuu rode on the next ride. After the ride, they went to the ice cream booth. Sam was still shaking due to the ride. Alex took Sam's hand as they walked to calm her down. Both of them blushed instead. 

 "You okay?" Alex asked.

"Yeah." Sam answered.

For some reason, she couldn't look into Alex's eyes and neither could Alex.

"What d'ya want, guys? My treat!" Brigette suddenly exclaimed, ruining the mood.

Sam got a strawberry ice cream, Alex got a cholcolate sundae, Ryuu got a strawberry sundae and Brigette bought a vanilla ice cream. They sat down happily on a table.

"Thanks, cousin." Sam thanked Brigette.

"No problem! No problem! After all, we owe Ryuu thanks for the tickets." Brigette insisted.

"Yes, thank you, Ryuu." Sam thanked with a warm smile.

Ryuu blushed. He took a piece of napkin and wiped it on Sam's cheek. 

"You've got ice cream on your face." Ryuu chuckled.

Sam blushed and didn't say a word. What's this weird feeling? Sam thought. Brigette smiled secretly.

~To be continued~~~