Chapter 11 - Run Is Not Fun

"Arey where are you both going?", the old aunty asked as she saw Manik tagging me along with him.

"Aunty I think it is time for us to leave...you have been a great help thank you very much", Manik blurted hurriedly and was about to make a move.

"That is okay but where will you go..her Dad must be hunting for you guys..I am telling you this is the safest place nobody can harm you here", she generously showed her concern for us and also gave an opportunity to me.

"Aunty please tell him na...we have been running since yesterday I am tired...I am so hungry and he doesn't even bother", I made a grumpy face to earn her sympathy and it worked instantly. I guess all the old ladies had the same motherly heart in them. She brushed my face as if I was her long lost kid and released my hand from Manik's grip. He was waiting to erupt but just couldn't counter their affection with his temperament. He had reserved all his frowns and grits for me. He darted glares at me and I gave genuine innocent looks. The lady made me sit on a cot and went to get food.

"Listen Nandini stop acting smart and come with me", Manik growled the moment he found me alone.

"Manik I am hungry...fine you have kidnapped me but does that mean you are going to make me starve to death and why are you getting so worked? as such I couldn't talk to anyone...Appa doesn't know where I am and now that you have broken the phone no one can contact either", I lied conveniently, after all his company was having some good affect on me at least in the given situation and it worked. I saw Manik's shoulder relax, he had taken my bait.

I had given some clue to Appa regarding my location in the message and the call back denoted they had received it. The only thing I needed to do was to linger there for some more time before someone came to my rescue. Manik thumped beside me on the cot. He looked tired and exhausted and cracked his neck to relax a bit.

I looked at him closely he was the same handsome and attractive man I had fallen for. Could I be so wrong about him? May be I hadn't seen the world as much but was I really that naive that I was unable to judge him. I felt the same tinkling sensation when he came close; his forceful kisses didn't hurt me as much as it should, his proximity still made me go weak on my knees, even his body language and gestures makes me feel that I have some effect on him. I was more than just an addiction. Was all of it really a lie? I was so lost staring at him that I didn't realize he was gaping at me as well.

"Amm I couldn't focus on much apart from your lips but you have nice eyes too...big... round... SCAVENGER eyes", he bounced his head in a rhythm and opined sarcastically. His finger tips tip toed on mine, "And your hands are also so soft and delicate", he took my hand into his and tried to have a better view of it. He almost meant it as a compliment and a slight smile was about to appear on my lips.

"Here you are", the lady stood in front of us with two plates. I saw there were a few others too. Everyone had a bowl in their hand, all of them intended to treat us. Well it was an extremely warm gesture but I would be a glutton to finish that. I looked at Manik who was excited instead. He looked at the dishes like a drought victim as if he had been starving for ages. He quickly took the plate from her hand and dug into it, his excitement towards the food made the other serve him more and I just gaped at him in awe.

"When did you guys marry?", one of the ladies asked.

The sudden question disturbed both of us but I kept quiet and let Manik do the lying business because he was certified pro in it.

"Ammm day before yesterday...in the Church...Nandini looked liked an angel behind the veil", he said looking at me to remind me of our church visit. I hung my head low as it really hurt to see my dream being crushed into pieces.