Am I Pretty?

"Play for me again, Daniel, please."

Dan sighed. He absolutely hated playing the piano but he would play for as long as Phil requested.

"What do you want me to play?"

Phil thought for a moment, trying to think of a song that they both enjoyed.

"Welcome to the Black Parade."

As soon as the words left Phil's lips, Dan's fingers flew across the instrument. Gliding across the keys like birds flying through the sky.

When I was a young boy...

Phil sighed contentedly at the noise. Days like this made him not mind being blind. He felt that not much people appreciated the beauty of music. His disability offered him the chance to actually listen to the music instead of just hearing it.

"Am I attractive, Daniel?"

Dan stopped.

"What kind of question is that?" Dan inquired. Phil had never asked him such a question.

"I dunno. I just wanna know. Do I meet the beauty standards of modern society?"

Of course he did, he exceeded them. Well, at least in Dan's opinion. He loved the way his dark black hair contrasted in comparison to his pale skin and Phil's beautiful ocean blue eyes.

"Yes."

Phil hesitated before asking another question.

"Am I as attractive as you are?"

Dan scoffed. He was far from attractive. He hated his curly brown hair and knew he would never compare to all the other males in his class.

"You go miles past that, Phil."

"Do I?"

Dan blushed and was grateful Phil couldn't see. "Yeah."

Phil grabbed his cane and made his way toward the piano. He sat down with Dan.

"Can you guide my hands to play?" Phil asked.

Dan placed his own hands over Phil's and slowly guided them across the piano. The music filled the air with the emotion both boys were to shy to admit they felt. Love.

As their fingers came to a stop, Phil was the first to speak.

"Dan, I think I love you."

"I think I love you too, Phillip."

Awkwardly and gently, they leaned in for the fated first kiss. They bumped noses and although Phil giggled at the innocence of the occurrence, Dan cursed himself for it but all was forgotten when their lips finally met. In the heat of the moment, they promised to never let go. A teenager's word, yes, but it was filled with pure honesty.

They kept the promise. Phil to his young age of twenty-four and Dan to his ripe age of eighty-seven. Never letting go. Together forever.