Eye for an Eye

Leslie, that's my name. I lived with my mom, just the two of us, and I loved it that way. Every morning I woke up to the smell of breakfast that my mom got set up for me. She used to work hard everyday for long hours; yet, she always made time for me. Every weekend, we'd go out to somewhere special. The fact that I had my mom all to myself was very satisfying, I felt so safe when she was around me. I always thought that we'd be like this forever, until that one-day when I woke up, and she wasn't there. That was the start, the start of a dystopia.

My mother was all I had, and they took her away from me for whatever reason. I've heard a few people had gone missing, but I never thought that it would affect my mom and me. I feel so naïve. I have to find out what happened, and I'll do whatever it takes to get my mom back.

House after house after house and no one has heard about my mother. Some families have members missing, too. All they kept on saying was "The government, the government." What does the government have to do with all of this? I go online looking for answers. A few minutes later, I find a website that has an article, which said "Mr. Jack White, the brother of Mr. Benjamin White, took his place in being president after a sudden death of his brother... In many interviews, Mr. Jack White said that he wanted to take over all surrounding countries to make his bigger. It was mentioned in one of the interviews that he wanted to build his own army."

The dots were going to connect, but I need more information for that to happen. First, I need to go into the city because I live in a town in the middle of nowhere that is isolated from the rest of the country. I arrive at the bus station, and head to get a ticket.

"Where to, ma'am?" said a man behind the counter.

"The city."

"Are you sure about that?" He asks.

"Yes sir." I say uneasy.

"Good luck."

Those last two words made adrenaline rush in my body. Why would he say that? I always thought of the city as a place with lots of green parks, big buildings, and the tallest skyscrapers. I guess I won't know until I see it. The bus ride will take about 10 hours, so I think I'll sleep.

I wake up just a few hours before arrival. It was very dark outside, so I thought the sun went down already. An hour and a half later, the bus stops. "Get down lady, this is your stop."

After a few moments, I realize the bus river was talking to me. "Is this the city?"

"No, we're not allowed to go there. This is as close as I can get. The city is about a mile away."

"You expect me to walk there?"

"Well, if that's where you want to go, then yes. But I wouldn't take that big of a risk if I were you."

I walk towards the door, but the driver stops me for a while. "Hey, be careful."

I get the same rush of adrenaline as I walk out the bus, but like I said before, I would do anything to get my mom back.

I've been walking for 15 minutes now and still no sign of civilization. It's pitch black, so I can barely see anything. I take a few more steps ahead, and then I saw a man walking towards me.

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?" I ask

"Who are you? You aren't supposed to be here." A rusty voice says back.

"I want to go to the city, but I'm lost."

He then grabbed me by the wrist and started pulling me towards a small house. "I'm Max by the way." He said.