Helping Miriam

Dear Diary,

The other day in school, we were learning about what people used to do on the Old Earth. One of the things they used to do was write, in little books called 'diarys.' It sounded quite fun, and you can kind of guess what happened: I decided to write one of my own.

Whoever is reading this is most likely wondering a couple of things, but those will be answered, since that was sort of the point of diarys. Well, that's what I picked up on what the point of diarys was: to write down what was happening in their life, as well as their thoughts and such.

Usually, they'd begin by writing down a bit about themselves. So, here goes nothing...

My name's Aamina (ah-MEEN-ah). I'm 13 years old. My friends know me by my deep sea dyed shoulder-lengh hair, pale skin, which is hardly touched by sunlight, and my purple eyes. Looking back on history, I've only just realized the other day that people from Old Earth don't have features like us, but hey, it's 2114...I'm going off topic bit.. Not really.. Anyway, like most other 13 year olds, I don't live such an exciting life, but something's happening...

Before I should say, well write, what's going on, I should explain things first... As I wrote before, it's the year 2114. And.. Things have changed in the past 60 or so years. In the year 2053, NASA created a sort of rocket thing so people could go up into space. It was meant for normal 'middle-classed' people, so it wasn't just millionars who could go into space. Though, at that time only a limited amount of people could actually get them, so people began to go crazy. And well, humans are the worst kind of monsters.

From what I was told, it sounded horrible. It didn't matter who was killed to get a sky-ship. (A Sky Ship is what some people here call rockets, or space ships.) Within a matter of years it got bad, too bad. So bad that people were sent away. And by that I mean the higher-up took people, 'good' people and began sending them away. People who were left on the Old Earth were classed 'bad'. The 'good' people were taken to another planet. They were able to do to this because without anyone else knowing, people created rockets so they could travel at the speed of light, and was just kept it to themselves... Jerks.. But they were caught. So they didn't. 

It isn't any better here though. Even though it's been about 40 years. The planet we're on now, New Earth, I'm told it's like the old one, but it's not... Well, that's handy... Right. Sorry. Writing to myself.. Anyway. We're told by our parents, and teachers that 'we're okay now. The dark days are over.' Though, we know there are still people murdering and waiting down on Old Earth just to get here. And that isn't a nice feeling. But, my parent stell me that here isn't any better. If anything, it's worse. The thing is, there are these people: people in masks watching us. Almost all the time. They wear cloaks, as well as a plain mask. If they'd wear a suit, they'd look like this guy I read about, Slenderman.. Going off topic... Again. We don't call them the 'slendermen'. Here, they go by the name of 'the Nindons', or sometimes just 'The Masked Men.'

I have an older sister, she's called Miriam. She's part of this group called the-

My pencil slid off the page at the sound of a door creaking. Crap. Quickly, I picked it up, shoving it, and my little diary into my blue over-the-shoulder bag that lay dead on my bed. For a second I was sure I stopped breathing, Luckily I didn't. I sat lifeless on the old wooden chair my Gran had given me. "Hello? Who's there?" I called out. Nope. Nothing bad can happen from that. Nope. Nothing at all.

Urgh, Aamina. Are they really going to reply? You should go check it out because nothing bad happens from that either. Sorry, in school we've been watching old films.. Well, films. They don't really make films any more. I'm surprised I was even able to get paper. But Miriam should be out with her group. And Mum and Dad should be out at work. I got up, walked over to the wooden door and opened it, peeking out. I couldn't see anything, or hear. After a couple of minutes, I made my way over to the desk, slowly reached over pulling out the book and pencil and places it on the desk. 

Sorry, I though I heard someone. If it was the Nindons, I would have been screwed. You see, the thing is, even though we got away from the monsters stuck on O.E. (It stands for the Old Earth, if you didn't already realize), we're stuck here with those things. We get to live in a limited space, and if we leave this space on this 'wonderful planet', well, let's just say... The people who do leave are normally brought back dead. If they're alive, which never happens, they're burned to death.

But if not the Nindons that's going after them. There's things... They're not human. That we know. They're out in the 'no-man forest'. Rumours are going are looming around here though. That we can get away. Some people want to stay though; they're happy we have strict rules to follow. They're happy that if we break one, we're murdered. They're happy they have to eat, and sleep, and do things at a certain time. It sucks, though. A lot. 

As I was going to write before, my sister, Miriam, and her group, well they haven't quite told me the name yet. They said they would tell me when I was trustworthy. Which, I guess is okay. If they were caught by the Nindons, everyone who was in it would be burned to death. Going off subject, again. Anyway, the group claim they have hold of a sky ship.  And, we can get away. The majority of people here hate it. And I know I'm not explaining things very well, but maybe this diary thing could help. 

BANG.  Another noise echoed though the house. Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap. That doesn't sound good. But I need to finish this off. The diary entry, I can't just leave it there. 

That's another reason why I'm starting to write in this thing. Because before I wrote: 'Anyway, like most other 13 year olds, I don't live such an exciting life, but something's happening..' So this is where it's going to get exciting. Because, I'm going to be helping Miriam, and her friends. Because we're going to get away from this place. And we're going to get our freedom. I don't know about the others though, but I also want to find out what the hell is in No-Man's Woods. What's the worst that could happen? I can be killed? That's not so bad, when you think about it. There are worse things.

Reading over this, it doesn't make sense... Oh well. Whoever's reading this will get what this is. I hope.. Miriam told me, if everything goes to plan, it'll be a monomyth. Well, let's just hope it goes to plan.. 

Until next time, diary.