At Death's Door

This story is dedicated to Sofaloofa for giving me the title and reading the story, giving me feedback. Thank you! ❤️

Alexander Hamilton knew he had to die, one way or another. He just hadn't expected death to come so soon for him.

He felt the bumps of his carriage driving over the dirt roads. He could feel the slow trickle of blood ooze from where the bullet had hit him. It was altogether not very pleasant.

Every breath he took felt as if it were shattering his already broken ribs. Thankfully he would not have to do that anymore.

He suddenly thought of Eliza, wondering if she had received the note he had given her. A immense wave of guilt crashed over him. In the end, he had protected his legacy, not his wife. How could he have been so foolish?

"Alexander!" Came a voice as if under murky waters, rousing him from his thoughts. He opened his eyes, though he hadn't realized how tightly they had been shut until then.

He heard footsteps and felt a small, warm hand take ahold of his own. Eliza.

"Why? Why did you do it?" She said. She sounded very distanced.

He could not form the words to tell her. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Suddenly a darker, taller image entered the room.

"Angelica?"

Unlike Eliza, who was shaking with sobs, Angelica had silent tears streaming down her cheeks. She shook her head. She was disappointed in him. He did not blame her.

"We met you halfway up the path." She explained. "We thought we would make it.... In time."

Angelica went to his other side. She took ahold of his right hand. Her grip was shaking, Alexander was surprised. She was usually in control of things.

He saw a light ahead, at the end of a long tunnel of life. He new it was now or never.

"Maybe we could get the bullet out, we could slow your bleeding-"

"The ribs. They're... Broken too." Alexander interrupted his wife.

She buried her face in his ruffles among his chest, shaking with sobs.

"My dearest, Angelica." He said.

"My dearest Alexander." She whispered. Her voice was hoarse. Immediately Alexander understood. Had Eliza not been there, Angelica would be shaking with sobs instead. She was staying strong for her sister.

He heard the church bells ring. His breathing slowed. The sisters must have felt it too, they both locked eyes with him, their grip tightening, as if they had the very last broken fragment of his life in their hands.

He looked at his wife. "My love take your time, I'll see you on the other side."

She could not bring herself to say anything. She nodded.

He locked eyes with Angelica. She nodded as well.

He closed his eyes, letting the light obscure his vision, the church bells sending him off to the last step of his journey, where he was greeted by a strong hug.

"I missed you, Pops."