Chapter 3: The Quest

Elise and the beast turned to man went to Marduk's place, a cave.

At first, the atmosphere was awkward because of what happened until Marduk decided to ask questions to the princess.

"What are you doing again out there? Don't you know it's dangerous in the forest at this point of time?"
Marduk asked Elise without looking at her.

"I escaped from the palace. I wanted to be free that's why I'm finding a good place to stay." She answered.
"You can call me Marduk."
Elise nodded. Marduk became hesitant of making the princess stay in his small cave.

"You can't be here. I can't have you staying with me."

He finally looked at her. Elise suddenly frowned. "But why? Just please let me stay. I'll do anything for you. Please. I'm begging you."
She went to Marduk and held his arms. Marduk looked at her face and her hands touching him. He suddenly felt uneasy. He removed her hands off him.

"Fine, I'll let you stay in one condition."
Elise's eyes lit upon hearing those words. Finally, she found a place to stay.

"What is it? Whatever you want, I'll do it."
She asked Marduk.
"You'll be the one who will search for our food for the following days."
He demanded.
"Yes! Of course! Thank you for letting me stay!"
She was about to hug Marduk but he turned away.
He responded by a simple nod. Since Elise, is new to her environment, she can't fall asleep.

A part of her missed her huge and comfortable bed, her silky blanket.
She tried to close her eyes but still, no use. She sat down next to the fire that Marduk made. She just stared at it and feels the warmth that it gives.
"Why are you not yet sleeping? Aren't you tired?"
She was surprised to hear Marduk's voice.
She thought that he's already sleeping.
"I can't sleep. I miss my bed. I miss my blanket, my clothes. Everything. I miss them."
She confessed.
"Why don't you go back to your own place?" Marduk asked.

"I can't. And I don't want to." She started telling Marduk her story.

" For the past years, I've lived my life like a prisoner. Whatever my father wants, I should do it. I am tired living with rules and protocols made by other people. I want to rule myself. I want to make my own decisions without thinking others opinions against me. That's why even though, I missed all of my things back in the palace. I'd still choose this life. This freedom that I now have."

Silence enveloped them both.

Until Elise decided to ask the very first question she wanted to ask. "I'm sorry to ask this but, what are you?"
He looked up at her. "I mean, why are you transforming from a bear to a human? How's it that possible? Where are you from?"
She asked, a little bit scared of what will be his reaction. She thought Marduk won't answer his question. But he cleared her throat. And started narrating his story.
"I am not an ordinary mundane. I came from a family of what they called "were bears". We're not cursed.
This is where we truly belong. We came from the southern part of this country but some warriors/soldiers tried to kill my family.

And they succeeded.

I ran away from that place because I can't afford to see others like me grieving for their family's loss.

Instead, I became brave. I became strong. I became who I am now."
She was captivated by Marduk's life. She didn't know that there are those creatures that existed. "When will you be transforming into a bear again?"
She asked curiously.
"It always happens during evenings."
She began to feel sleepy.
"Come on. Let's sleep. It's already late."

The next day, in the castle grounds.. "Where is my princess?"

The king asked the maid and the guards.

No one answered. King Scraviro looked at Anastasia. She became fidgety. The king went to her. "Do you know something about my daughter's disappearance? You're supposed to watch her!"

Ana didn't utter any single word.

The king became furious. He called all the servants and the warriors of the palace.

He was worried of her daughter's safety.

If only he knew that his decision will lead into this. He was disappointed but concerned at the same time. Once the servants and warriors were gathered, the king stood in front of them.

"My princess was lost. And nobody noticed that she left this castle! What happened to the guards in every look outs?"

The group of sentry bowed.

"I want every one of the army to look for my daughter!"
The king shouted.
"And I am assigning Officer Maverick to be the leader of this quest."
Maverick took a step in front. "Yes, your majesty."
The officer saluted. After that meeting with the king, Maverick has planned everything. From the armors and weapons to be used, and also he demanded to prepare his horse.

He wanted to find Elise, his childhood friend ever since. He wanted to ask her why she escaped the palace. He was concerned for the princes' safety. Once everything's ready, he went to King Scraviro.
"Everything's ready your highness.

We are about to leave." The officer informed the king. "Yes officer. Please find my daughter. I am counting on you."

The king tapped Maverick's shoulder.
"I will, my king. I'll do my best to find Princes Elise, safe and sound."
The king nodded. He bowed one more time to the king and then exited his way to the castle. He searched everywhere.

But he can't see any sight of the princess.

He became worried but he didn't give up.

The next morning while Maverick's still searching for Elise. He heard someone humming a familiar song.

He suddenly had a hunch that it is the princess.

He got excited and at the same time, he didn't set his hopes up.

As he gets closer, he saw a girl picking fruits and berries while singing.

he knew it, the woman that he saw, is the same as the woman he loved since they were a child.

He hurriedly went to the princess and hugged her from behind.
"Where have you been? Are you fine, my princess?" Maverick asked, still hugging Elise tight.

"Maverick..?" Elise was shocked. She doesn't know what to react. She felt the man nodded to her shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" She turned around to face the warrior.

"The king, your father, ordered to bring you to the castle. I was the one assigned to look for you.
And I am happy because you are safe my dear."
He held Elise's hands.

"But you can't be here." she told him. "He won't let you." She mumbled.

"Why? What are you saying?" Curious Maverick asked her. But suddenly a loud growl was heard.

Maverick got his weapons and armors and tried to fight the giant beast.

But the beast was just so strong.
Her weapons including his armor flew up in the air as the beast approaches him.

Maverick fought hard to stop and kill the beast.

He was afraid that the princess might get hurt.

He looked at the princess who was still in shock of what was happening.

But the bear took that chance to attack the warrior. In a matter of second the bear was in top of the warrior and it was trying to kill him.

When the bear was about to kill him, Elise, who recovered from shock, started shouting. "NO! PLEASE! Let him go! He won't do any harm please."

But Marduk was not convinced. Elise went to the beast and Maverick.

She touched the bear's hand and put them down. The beast stood up.

And Elise helped the poor warrior to get up.

"Move, I'll carry him. It's pitiful to see a warrior that weak. I don't want him to humiliate himself more by getting carried by a princess."