Chapter 7 - That Time of the Month

"Quinn! Get up, now!"

"Mmmmph."

Someone shook my shoulder and ran out the room, their footsteps fading down the hall. I shot my eyes open and squinted tiredly at my alarm clock.

I internally screamed. I was late for school. I jumped out of bed, throwing on a t-shirt and jeans. I ran to the bathroom, squirted some paste on my toothbrush, and started brushing. I also brushed my hair. Lucky me, it was extremely frizzy.

But I don't have time to worry about frizzy hair. I quickly put it into a tight ponytail and put on some deoderant.

I sniffed. I looked down at my pants, panic running through me. It felt as if I had randomly pissed myself. I instantly checked what was the matter.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. "I..I started my period," I whispered.

I cursed myself as I finished, stubbing my toe on the way out the door.

"Quinn! We're leaving!" My dad's voice echoed from the kitchen.

I pulled my arms through the sleeves of my jacket and grabbed a granola bar, running out the door.

"Uh..forgetting something, sweetie?" My dad asked, obviously trying to hide his smile.

I looked around confusingly, and then realized what I had forgot. My book bag. I ran back into the house, and into my room, grabbing my bag, and running back out.

"Quinn, honey. You wouldn't want to gain, would you? How about you get something a little healthier. I have rice cakes saved for you in the pantry!" My mother said sweetly.

I looked down at my precious granola bar. It was true, it was a little fattening.

I sighed before throwing it out the car window. "Happy? Now let's go."

************
"Now, let's talk about the shapes..."

I began to tune Mr. Bricks out as the world around me began to fade. My eyes fell droopy. I eventually gave up and fell asleep.

"Wake up. Wouldn't want to miss class, would you?"

I opened my eyes to see Gabe staring at me, amusement written all over his face.

"Oh, shut up. I'm tired." I closed my eyes once more and began to fall back asleep when my shoulder was shook for the second time today.

"Dude, leave me alone."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"Why?"

"Because I have a human brain....unlike you," I added.

"Why?"

"Because-no, just stop. I'm not dealing with this," I mumbled as I let my hair cover my face.

Gabe pulled a strand away and continued to stare at me.

"You're getting really creepy," I whispered.

"So, we're just not gonna talk about what happened yesterday?"

"What happened?"

He gave me a look and rolled his eyes.

I snorted. "Don't blame me. You're the one who did it."

His cheeks turned red as he glanced away.

I smirked under my hair and shut my eyes, praying that he would leave me be.

"You know, sometimes..." And here we go.

"Hey, are you listening?"

"Yeah, sure."

Gabe heaved a sigh and turned around. "Forget it."

I shrugged and went back to sleep.