My Story

I don't know where to begin with this story of mine. I have suffered autism spectrum disorder for all my life. My parents call it autistic tendencies but I think autistic tendencies is part of the autism spectrum. I call it low end autism as it's still autism in my mind.

From the start, I had to go to a special needs nursery, then progressed to a special needs school. I didn't speak my first word until I was 3. It was the word 'hiya' and I kept repeating it. I couldn't talk in sentences until I was about 5 or 6 years old. It would have meant that I missed out on some of mainstream school, which I did. I missed 2 or 3 years of it. I managed to get GCSEs at the end of my education, which my dad is very proud of, considering I didn't start mainstream until Year 3. If I'm right, that might be around grade 2 in the US. I'm in the UK just to clarify.

Autism has affected me with keeping friendships. Also it affects my confidence in talking to people. I usually get misunderstood by other people and vice versa. Most likely why I don't talk to many people and have maybe 1000 imaginary friends, all because I feel noone understands me. Although they are for my stories I think of. I suppose the creative side has come from me being autistic. From my story writing, to my artwork I post when I can, I've managed to keep it going.

I was bullied for being different in primary and secondary school. To be honest, when I look back, I prefer not look at it again. I do remember being called 'retard' a lot, but I knew I was different and I was going to keep to it. I probably didn't think about it at the time but I can't believe how far I've come.

My brother keeps telling me that people with Autism are more smarter than people without the condition. To be honest, I've heard of it from others as well. To be honest, I don't know whether I'm smart or not but at least I know a few things. I remember certain numbers of things, that includes the amount of stairs in the house I moved from over a year ago.

I take most things literally at times when people say things about me on a Twitch stream and I have to private message them to let them know that I can get offended and know I suffer autistic tendencies. They apologise afterwards as its a stream I'm friendly with everyone there.

I have a bad thing with loud noises, hence why I don't like balloons. Strong smells is another. That even includes perfume.

I find new experiences scary for me. Talking to strangers is nerve wracking for me, even the phone. I eventually call important things a bit later when I have managed to remember what I need to say. Why I get nervous is that I worry if I forget what I needed to say or don't understand the person on the phone. More or less likely hence why I don't ring people.

I thank everyone for reading my story with autism. Autism affects people in different ways, small or big.