Chapter 1

~First story that I actually finished, yay! :D I'm trying to figure out how to work this thing, so when I do, I'll upload the chapters regularly~

         I yawned and stood up from my bed in the keeper quarters. “Good morning, Fleetwood,” a voice said. I looked over at the keeper who had stayed over night to keep and eye on the new arrivals. I quickly identified her as Amber. I purred and padded over to her. I wreathed around her legs. Why I do that, I don’t know. I suppose it’s just instinct.  I padded over to my food bowl and was pleased to see that it had already been filled. I took a few bites which turned into large gulps. When I finished, I purred and stretched.

       “You were hungry today, weren’t you?” Amber chuckled. “At this rate you’ll become fat. How about you go and do something outside?” Amber opened the door and I slowly walked out.

       The only humans I could see were zoo-keepers. Good, no little kids just yet. I squeezed between the bars separating the keeper quarters and the zoo.

       “Good morning Fleetwood,” another zoo keeper- Brian- said. “Amber finally kicked you out huh?”

       “Well, actually I chose to come out!” I protested, but of course he didn’t understand. He leaned down to give me a pat and continued to clean the meerkats pen. I still don’t understand why they call them meerkats. Why not meer-rats? That would make more sense.

       I continued walking around until I found Linnea. She’s the best! Linnea always manages to slip me some type of meat at lunch. Linnea looked down and smiled. I purred and wreathed around her legs. Linnea chuckled and petted me. “How’s my favorite Maine Coon?” she murmured to me.

       “Pretty good,” I purred. I knew humans wouldn’t ever to be able to talk to me, but I like being able to at least pretend.

       “We finally got the jaguar family,” Linnea said. “Maybe you should go and see them later.” I shrugged to myself. In all this time, I’ve never been to the large cats section. Why? Because I don’t wanna be eaten. I thought to myself.

       “Well, I’d better get back to feeding the flamingoes,” Linnea said. I purred a little more then went back to walking around.