Arrival

It was a brand new year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Great Hall, illuminated by the light of hundreds of candles floating in mid-air, was resonating with the chatter of both students and professors sharing stories about their holidays, discussions of the latest gossip, and students showing off their new robes... It was a cold September night but despite the wind raging outside, a comforting warmth filled the room. The upcoming feast, the golden plates on the long wooden tables glimmering in the candlelight and the stars shimmering on the enchanted ceiling made Harry smile. For the first time in two months, he finally felt like he was back home. Like he belonged. He also couldn't help but feel a tiny bit anxious : ever since he passed the giant gates of the castle, each year had been more eventful than the last. What would it be this time ?

Lost in thoughts, he jumped slightly as Hermione leaned towards him.

"I can't believe we're starting our sixth year already ! Time really does fly by !"

"I know" Harry replied, his smile growing bigger. "Whenever I look at the first years I can't help but wonder if we looked that small when we first got here..."

Ron snickered. "I don't think we did. They just seem to shrink every single time... One day they'll be so small Hagrid will accidentally crush them under his feet, I'm telling you" he said mockingly, making Harry laugh and Hermione scowl.

"I swear Ron, if I ever see you pushing another first year in the corridors again..."

"It wasn't my fault ! I could barely see him !"

They started bickering and Harry left them to it, his eyes wandering around the Hall again. Taking a closer look at the professors' table, he noticed three empty seats at the far left. Three seats ? That was unusual, considering that none of the teachers seemed to be missing... Dumbledore wasn't there though, he had left right after the end of the Sorting, which was weird as well. Also, there was one unknown person sitting at the table : an incredibly plump man with a walrus-like silver moustache, whose bald head shone under the glow of the candles. He was wearing a sumptuous burgundy velvet robe embroidered with gold and was talking to the tiny professor Flitwick, an enthusiastic expression on his perfectly round face.

"You think it's the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher ?" Ron asked, following Harry's stare

"Yeah, probably. Hey, did you notice—"

But before he could share his strange observation with Ron, a shiver ran through him and he suddenly felt as if someone just poured a bucket of ice-cold water all over him.

"Aaaargghhhhh ! Bloody hell Nick, could you please be more careful ?" Harry groaned

Nearly Headless Nick, the ghost of Gryffindor House, was floating in front of them, his translucent silhouette hovering above the table. He bowed to the students, his head bending dangerously over his partially severed neck.

"Harry Potter, my dear friend ! What a pleasure to see you back inside the walls of this castle !" he said, beaming at Harry, completely oblivious to what just happened. "And every other Gryffindor of course ! It's always such a delight to admire the Great Hall at this time of year, filled with living souls again... All those smiling faces..."

"How was your summer, Nick ?" Neville asked, a few seats over

"Oh you know, the usual" Nick answered, his face dropping a little. "Us ghosts have learned not to expect any particular form of entertainment... Although Peeves managed to drive Mr Filch particularly crazy last month !"

All the Gryffindors within a 5-feet radius turned their heads to Nick as he went on about Peeves's latest mischiefs, Harry included. They didn't notice the two men entering the Hall from a back-door, following Dumbledore who was motioning them to sit at the far left of the table before walking to his own seat and raising his arms.