Chapter One Pain

"DAD STOP!" Haymitch screamed as his father repeatedly hit him.

"JOSEPH STOP!" Screamed Haymitch's mother. His father turned to her. "The hell did you say woman?" Haymitch looked at his father.

He knew what his father wanted to do. He would always do it whenever he was drunk. Haymitch knew his father would hurt his mother next he always did.

"Joseph stop you can't hurt him. Especially since tomorrow's The Reaping." He stopped and thought for a moment before speaking.
"And why exactly should I do that Emmalyn?"

"Because if the peacekeepers see that he's injured they'll suspect abuse." Mrs. Abernathy responded while worriedly looking at her son laying on the ground.
"
Mom stop...." Haymitch muttered weakly. His father looked at him thoughtfully. Mrs.Abernathy quickly ran to Haymitch's side and began looking at his wounds.

"I'm okay mom don't worry about me. I'll be okay." Haymitch quietly told his mother. She looked at her husband before speaking.

"Joseph you can't continue hitting him." She spoke in a quiet voice as she looked at her husband.

Mr. Abernathy looked at Haymitch before looking at his wife evilly. He took a swig of the bottle of alcohol he held.

"Well Emmalyn if your so willing for me to stop hitting him I will." Mrs. Abernathy let out a sigh of relief. Before looking at her husband once more.

"Joseph thank yo--" Mr.Abernathy interrupted his wife by putting up his hand.

"I wasn't finished. I'm still feeling a little bit angry so I think I'll send our child to sleep before I begin taking my anger out on you." Mr. Abernathy eerily said.

Haymitch's eyes widened at his father's words. "NO! MOM QUICK GET AWAY!" He shouted as he tried to stand up. His father strided over to his son and slapped him.

"Haymitch I think it's time for you to go sleep." His father said as he began to wickedly grin at his son.

Mr. Abernathy punched his son in the face. All Haymitch heard before passing out was the terrified screams of his mother.