Prologue

My name is Zoe, I'm 12. I've never been selected myself, but I know what happens. Usually, 168 kids die each year. I have my friends with me, they haven't been selected either. I don't want to loose them. They are my world. I'd do anything for them.

It's 7:59 in the morning right now. January 1st. The last 60 seconds of December's nightmare. Becca, and Arron and I are nervously watching the projected screen in front of us. The screen turns black. We all look up, 8:00am. It's time you guys. The list will come in the next minutes. Everyone freezes. The screen starts by stating no one has survived the month. Arron's clenches his fists until his hands are shaking. Becca screams, and throws a green pillow across the room. Tears stream down her cheeks.
Arron stands up, a deathly look in his eyes. "Shit! Another 14!" He screams, the sound echoes off the walls. He falls to his knees in tears. Arron is a strong person, really strong. It's rare to see him cry. I've known him since Becca and I were 4, he was 6. We are extremely close. I tilt my head to the ceiling, a tear escapes my eye. The warm tear rolls in my hair, but I don't care. So many innocent kids. It hurts to even think about it.
Becca stands up from her chair, stomping her foot. "If one of us gets picked, we all do this together." She boldly states, wiping her face.

In a robotic tone, a voice begins. "The government has chosen 14 citizens for January's dream. Those people are:
Toby Myers
Jenifer Ford
Kaylee Scott
Arron Nevi
Lukas Zimmer
Nix Han
Connor Elliot
Stephen Knight
Diego Garcia
Jayden Bennett
Jacob Myers
Rebecca Williams
Nina Davey
and Ann Victor
The dream starts at 8:00pm sharp. Good luck!" The screen goes away.

We all just sit there, silence. Scared? Nervous? Horrified? This feeling cannot be described. We were all chosen, except me. Zoe Alexander.