Auditions

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my mom vacuuming. My mom was so caring about how much I slept on weekends. My first thought of the morning thought was, who created the game fetch?
This thought was followed by a quick, what in the actual fuck am I thinking? I let out a groan, and rolled over to protect my face from the evil rays of doom that they called "sunlight". I heard someone talking downstairs and someone else open the door.
Noooooo. No people. Not today.
I peeked from the edge of my pillow and looked around my room. My David Guetta poster was slowly peeling off the wall, and I saw about 10 photos that needed to be retaped too. I directed my attention to my nightstand. It was plain black wood, with only an alarm clock and a script for the play I was trying out for.
Wait, tryouts.
Weren't those today?!
I checked the time, 12:04. Tryouts were at 1:00.
"Shit!" I yelled bounding out of bed and going straight to my closet.
Aw, but I just got out of there.
××××××××××××××
My mom dropped me off in front of the theater around 12:45. I had a horrible fear of being late so I always had my mom drop me off early. The theater at my school consisted of a small stage and dingy lights. Since it was my senior year at Mary West High, I had decided to do a play. Ashley had volunteered to join me, in her words, how bad could it be?
Well, bad. They had announced the play last month. It was The Sound of Music, of all things. Ashley, a Sound of Music fan, had been ecstatic. She wanted the lead. I had a feeling I would get a part as one of the rich guy's kids.
I headed across the heated concrete, my black boots clunked their way to the theater doors. I opened the door and was attacked by a cloud of cool air.
"Kitty Witty!!!" I heard one of the chipper theater geeks squel.
"Um, hi?" I turned and saw the director, Katy, waving at me.
"You're the first one here so far," Katy walked up to me, she was a few inches shorter than me but was bursting with more confidence than I could ever muster. The air around her crackled with energy.
"Katy, Kitty, help me with these chairs, will you?" Mrs. Clark, the theater supervisor, came out from behind the velvet stage curtains, she was carrying tan folding chairs.
"Of course," Katy chirped, bouncing on stage. I followed, but with a lot less bouncing and more struggling. Katy and I both started to set up chairs on the theater floor below the stage. Mrs. Clark thanked us, then we all sat down and waited for the others.
12:59.
Carter was the first to walk into the theater, he was a muscly, tan guy who was into surfing and dodgeball. Carter was followed by Claire, Jason, Austin, Megan, and about 20 other kids. I sat in waiting for Ashley to walk in.
"Kat!" I heard a familiar voice yell from the other side of the room. I turned around and saw Ashley walk in. Her blonde hair was in a messy ponytail and she was wearing sweat pants and a hoodie.
"Hi Ashley! Forgot auditions were today?"
"No, actually. And we all know you probably slept in today so shut up," Ashley sat next to me, her eyes sparkled with anticipation,"Ready to be in a play?"
"Nope," I said with a half confident, half what-am-I-doing grin.
"Well, break a leg!" Ashley turned to face the stage as Katy started the opening speech.
×××××××××××
An hour and a half later, I was regretting all of my choices. I had botched my audition. Ashley claimed I did well, but she was just being nice. Ashley had done amazing. Over all, Ashley was treating us to ice cream because we were "Oscar winning actors."
"Jesus Christ, slow down!" I yelped as Ashley slammed to a stop near our school.
"I'm not going that fast," She continued driving down the street. We were surrounded by suburbs on each side. Ashley was the only one of us that had her own car. Three summers working at Dairy Queen had done her good.
"Anyway," Ashley turned down the radio,"How have you been?"
"Um, good?"
"Um?"
"I always use 'um's. It's like my own code."
"For what? Is it code for 'I'm scared of speaking'?"
"Hey, talking is scary."
Ashley snorted as we pulled into the dairy queen parking lot. She parked and we both got out.
"What do you want?" I stared at the sun bleached menu hanging above the dingy little Dairy shack.
"Strawberry swirl~" Ashley did a little dance, I giggled.
"What about you?" Ashley turned to me.
"Chocolate," I said in a monotone voice, looking bored as I could.
We both giggled and ordered our ice cream. I saw the guy behind the counter eyeing Ashley's chest.
Asshole.
If Ashley noticed she showed no sign of it. Once we sat down though, she ranted the crap out of that situation.
"Did you see that guy?! No shame at all." Ashley glared in the guy's direction.
"Well, you could always go talk to him," I said nonchalantly, I knew she wouldn't.
"I'll let him live another day. But I swear, next time....." She bit her ice cream violently, then jerked back because of how cold it was.
"Why the hell did you bite ice cream?" I said with a smile.
"I felt adventurous. You know, we can't always lick the ice cream."
"That sounds really dirty."
"Shut up!" Ashley smacked my arm playfully.
"Its true," I giggled. Suddenly I saw Ashley look over my shoulder, I turned and saw Mari's crew had come.
"Shit..." Ashley looked at me,"Want to go?"
"No," I whispered,"I don't give a fuck anymore..."
"Okay, hopefully they'll leave us alone."
Mari and I had a really bad history together.
I felt my pulse pounding in my ears, I couldn't even imagine talking to Mari. She had gone to a different high school than I had, so I had been able to avoid her. I could still feel her hands on my throat some days.
×××××××××××××
Comment please~
I'll try to update this as regularly as I can, the chapters will probably only be a thousand or so words each.
And click the star button if you are enjoying this~