Chapter Two

"No...no," the girl sobbed into her hands, muffling her words.

I turned back to her after watching the ship be swallowed by the ocean.

"I'm sorry." I said, for the third time. I couldn't stop saying it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

She should know I just wanted to protect her.

The girl looked up at me with red, watery eyes.

"Did you see what made my ship sink? Did you at least see what took the last member of my family?" she whispered, too shocked to talk louder.

I sighed. It was time to tell her. I had been with my family out in the water, just spending time with one another when we noticed a whirlpool start a little ways away from where we were.

"There was a whirlpool." I stated blankly.

"A whirlpool?"

"Yes."

"A big one?"

"Yes."

"Did you notice my ship? Did you even try to save it when it started to go down?"

"Yes, my whole family did. But I just noticed you. You were falling into the water, and I knew that you couldn't breathe."

"Oh," the girl said. She turned back to the sand, looking around for something else to do.

"Why were you here in the first place? Why did you come here in a boat?" I asked her, wanting to know more.

"I was...I was here for an event. A party in my honor."

"Really? Wh--why? Are you...are you one of those nobles who come here each year?"

"No. I really am just a girl who came here with her father. I'm a pri--I'm just a regular girl."

"Ah." I said, not believing her. We sat there on the sand for a few more minutes, my tail waving about. I have to admit, she still did not even notice I have a tail. But I caught her eye, which was looking at me.

"Are you...are you one of those merpeople in the fairytales?" she asked me.

Great reference, miss. Great reference.

"Yes. I'm a merman." I answered, flapping my fins to show her how I move. 

"So...how did you save me?" she asked.

I thought for a second.

"I saved you...by swimming down into the water and lifting you up to the surface again. Why do you ask?"

"So I have a story to tell to my future family." We both laughed at her comment.

"I'm not sure what to do now. I feel as if I've cried myself dry...so what do I do?" she said to the air.

"I feel exactly the same way," I replied.

"How can I repay you for saving me? Although there's no way I could pay you back for saving my life."

"No, it's alright, you don't have to do anything."

"No, that's wrong of me. Just tell me, and I'll do it."

"Miss, no. I'm not that kind of merman."

"I have to do at least something for you, Zylen. You helped me, so I should help you. It's the nicest thing I could do."

I looked at her. She looked back at me with grateful eyes.

All of a sudden, the girl came close to me and kissed me.

"No!" I said, pushing her back. But it was too late. Her eyes turned blue. Her hair turned a darker brown, and...

"Ohhh..." she moaned. Her legs clamped together, and I saw silver and dark blue scales beginning to appear on her feet, spreading apart into two fins.