chapter one

"You want a shot?" John, someone from my friend group, asked.

"No, you know I don't drink like that." I answered him.

"Then why do you even come to these parties?" He laughed, taking his own shot.

"I like the music and dancing usually. But Jen made me come to this one." I told him, though I knew he wasn't really paying attention.

"Yeah we're all pretty surprised that you'd come to a party at Lucas' house. But oh well, as long as you're having fun!" He was suddenly pulled away by his girlfriend, not noticing how abruptly he was leaving the conversation.

"Yeah, me too." I muttered to myself.

I had been at the party for about an hour, and it was just now getting crazy. Everyone was arriving, fashionably late of course, which meant more drinks and more people to get drunk. This is the part of the party that I never enjoyed. I usually would leave a party by this time, if it ever came to it. But Jen and her boyfriend Dylan were my ride home, so I had to wait for them.

I looked around the room to try and find them, when my eyes suddenly landed on a friend of mine.

Chas Brown. My best guy friend since the 6th grade. And before you ask, no. Its never been nor will it ever be anything romantic. I know that's what everyone says, but trust me when I say that that's not how we are.

I decided to make my way over to where he was standing, stopping by the snack table to grab a few chips, or course.

"Chas!" I called out over the loud music. He turned around and smiled, opening his arms for a hug.

"Hey! Bree! What are you doing here?" He laughed.

"I came to party, obviously." I said in a white girl's voice, flipping my hair.

"Yeah, at your ex's house? I don't think so." He continued, "What's the real reason?"

"Jen forced me to come." I told him.

"Ahhh." He sighed, "Well have you seen the little jerk around here yet?"

"Actually, I-" I was cut off by a guy who came from behind Chas.

"Here's the champagne." The guy said.

I couldn't get a good look at him since the lighting I'm this house was almost non existent, but I could hear a light English accent in his voice, making me curious.

"Thanks man." Chas said, taking the cup from the boy's hand.

"You wanna sip?" Chas asked me. He knows all too well that champagne is the only alcoholic drink I like.

"Yeah, but just a sip." I answer, taking the cup from his hands.

I eyed his friend for a second before turning my gaze back to him, trying to tell him that I'd like to be introduced.

"Oh, yeah." He finally catches on, "Bree this is my friend Brad. Brad, this is my friend Bree."

Brad stuck out one of his hands for me to shake it, which I happily accepted.

"Its nice to meet you, Brad." I tell him, trying my hardest to get a good look at his face. I couldn't, though, because like I said, these rooms were so dark for the party.

"The pleasure is all mine." He replied, revealing the English accent yet again.

"He and his family just moved across the street from my parents. I met him while I was over there one day and he mentioned that he was looking for somewhere to stay, away from his parents." Chas explains, "I, of course, being the amazing man that I am, told him that me and John have an extra room in our apartment that he could use."