Prologue

"Hitori. Wake up, you don't want to miss your first day at the academy!" My mother said shaking me gently with the same smile she always had plastered on her face. She was beautiful, her eyes as deep blue as the ocean and her hair a silvery white.

"Carry me mom, please?" I said stretching tiredly. I was only six years old and I wasn't ready to join the academy just yet.

"Ninja's don't have their moms carry them everywhere Hitori." She started

A frown instantly flew upon my face as I dangled my feet from my bed.

"...But I'll do it this time since it's a big day for my little soon to be ninja." She said with a closed eyed smile.

She easily swooped me off of my bed and I wrapped my arms around her neck as she skipped along on our way to the kitchen.

"Are you ready to start the academy Hitori?" My mother asked.

"I want to be a ninja like you and father, but the academy scares me!" I said honestly. I began to think about what could happen after becoming a ninja.

"You can wait another year Hitori." She tried to say reassuringly.

My mind drifted off to the fear of dying. I remembered seeing all of the graves for shinobi who died protecting the village.

"Hitori?" My mom's soft and relaxing voice called me back from my scary thoughts.

"I want to become a ninja like you as soon as possible mother. I'm just afraid." I said burying my head in her shoulder with my white hair shielding my eyes.

"Don't be afraid of getting hurt or dying. That's why you have teammates son." She said reaching around and tickling my sides.

I laughed loudly before dropping from her back and running to the kitchen with her in close chase.

"I'm gonna get you Hitori!" She chuckled.

I took off in a full sprint down the hallway towards the kitchen. I looked back to see how far away she was before being swooped into a pair of arms, shocking me.

"A ninja has to be alert at all times Hitori" A masculine voice I recognized immediately said.

"Father!" I shouted turning to wrap my arms around his neck and dangling as he let go of my legs.

"Good Morning son. Are you ready for the Ninja Academy?" He said placing me down and rubbing my head.

I turned my head to look at my mother who smiled.

"I'm ready to be like you and mother!" I said confidently.

"Promise me you'll work hard to become a great ninja and protect the village." He said kneeling and looking at me face to face.

"I promise!" I said enthusiastically. I wanted to make my parents proud no matter what.

"Good. Go get dressed school starts soon son." He said before standing to talk to mother.

I sprinted down the hall way around turns, and up the stairs to my room. I threw on my black sandals, black ninja pants, and white shirt.

"I'm ready!" I shouted as I ran down stairs once more meeting my parents at the door.

My father swung the door open revealing a perfect sunny day with few clouds in the sky. The streets were busy and it was all peaceful. I heard the door lock behind me before feeling a soft gentle hand grasp mine on the left and a more firm one grab my right.

We walked together and I couldn't have been happier. I loved my parents. They were special ninjas they got to wear cool masks. Sometimes daddy let me put his on for a little while. It was white with red stripes and it was a dog face! I wanted one but mother told me I had to train really hard.