3

I was quickly walking through the crowded halls trying to get to my next class, somewhat I was mainly running from Hunter who was following me while yelling my name

I was quickly walking through the crowded halls trying to get to my next class, somewhat I was mainly running from Hunter who was following me while yelling my name. Times like this might be a time that it's cool to have no one know my real name.

"Hope Mercer! Stop right there!" he yells and everyone moved out of his way and his friends or gang members stood in my way not letting me by now knowing their leader was trying to get to me.

"Why the hell are you running from me?" Hunter snapped glaring at me once he caught up.

I kept my head down not looking at any of them. With my luck, they would all start beating me up for the heck of it...just like my so-called father. "I'm not running from you I was trying to meet up with my friend before class like I always do," I said it really quiet and wasn't really sure if he heard me or not. Lying came easily to me. After all, I had to lie every day of my life since my mother's murder and my father went off the rails.

"Whatever. I really don't care. Look I rather get that stupid protect done with I have better things to do than school work," he said and leaned against the lockers next to me while I was still staring at the ground.

"Look just write down everything you think I would need to know about you to do this project and I'll do it by myself. I'm fine working on it by myself," I say and look at him through my eyelashes. I really was fine doing everything by myself because when I had big projects like this for school my father let me work and left the house and stayed at the bar or somewhere till midnight then wake me up and beat me.

"Whatever. We'll meet after school and make that list," he said then nodded to the guys that were still in my way. As soon as they moved out of my way I took off walking as fast as a dared without letting him know I wanted nothing more than to run as far from him as I could get.

After school, I was walking out the school doors heading to the public library where I normally go to stay out of the house a little longer. As I started toward the sidewalk keeping my head down and ignoring everyone than I felt someone grab my arm tight. I held in a scream used to it but I did flinch.

"Why the hell do you keep flinching? I hear a voice yell and try moving away.

"Let me go. Please let me go," I whimper/beg. I only ever do that when my dad goes too far or I'm scared out of my mind.

"Hey look at me Hailey," a voice that's not my father's says and moves my hair out of my face behind my ear. The person puts their hand on my chin making me try and pull away. They slowly make me look into their eyes and I see clear blue eyes instead of brown eyes.

"Hailey are you okay?" Hunter asks staring into my eyes searching my face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You just startled me," I say and try to pull my arm out of his grip again but it was useless he wasn't letting me go.

"There's more," Hunter says but I shake my head begging him with my eyes to just drop it. No one can know about my life. Sahara wasn't even spouse to know. The only reason she found out was because she came to check on me when I stayed home for two weeks' straight. "Fine don't tell me. Where are you going?" he asks keeping his hand on my arm.

"The library?" I ask looking at him trying to figure out why he cares.

"Did you forget we were meeting up for the project?" he asked amusement in his eyes.

Crap I forgot.

"Sorry force of habit to head to the public library after school," I answer moving my hair back in front of my face looking at the ground. I can never look people in the eyes. It makes me think they can see the girl that lost her mother and the girl that is abused.

"Whatever. Your place or mine?" He asks walking with me toward a truck.

"No. no. My father hates people coming over," I say shaking my head panic all across my face. I try to hide it but I can't. I know people watching think I'm panicking over Hunter, the most feared guy in town, dragging me to a, most likely his, truck.

"Okay mine it is. Get in," He says opening the passenger door than look at my face, "Hey I'm not going to hurt you. Stop looking at me like I'm going to kill you."

"S-sorry," I say looking down than getting into the truck buckling in than stare out the window.

"Unless it's not really me your scared of," He mutters staring the truck. I just stare out the window not answering for a little bit.

"I'm not scared of anything," I whisper knowing it's a lie but hoping he doesn't catch on.