chapter one

THE BLOOD RUSHED TO MY CHEEKS.

I couldn't breathe and the pounding of my heart might have caused me to go deaf if it wasn't for his eyes meeting mine.

I don't think I've ever ran that fast in my life and if coach would have seen me, I would have been on varsity in seconds. Literally.

Now in my defense I didn't sleep well so I might have confused the girls' restroom for the boys and by the time I noticed, it was too late. Ryder may or may not have seen me and I'm hoping for the maybe not.

When I got somewhere quiet I stopped to catch the breath I had lost in my sudden panic and replayed the events in my mind. How could I have made a mistake like that? Especially with Ryder in there? Well you're probably thinking that I'm crazy for complaining about walking in on the hottest guy probably in this town but you don't know Ryder like I do. We have a long, painful and yet cliché history.

Let me start off with yes it was a classical boy next door falls for the shy girl kind of romance so I apologize for repeating a truly cliché "love story", only it didn't end the way all of you think. Ryder and I did have a great relationship but once high school came, puberty hit him like an eighteen wheeler driving at ninety miles an hour. And through a series of misfortunate events, Ryder became interested in the girls who threw themselves at him causing that chapter to end. Sure he acknowledged me but that was probably because he still lived right next door to me and there was no way to avoid him since his bedroom window faced mine. Yes exactly like in Taylor Swift's You Belong with Me music video. I told you, cliché.

Finally with my lungs filled again, I walked back to class and pretended like I didn't see him.

"What took so long Sky?" Oh my beloved best friend Lindsey always had my back, especially when it came to the situation with Mr. Boy Next Door. I walked to my seat in AP Physics and as soon as I did so, Ryder walked in. Lindsey gave me a look and I groaned while every other teenage girl fainted at the sight of him.

"Over here Ryder!" Of course. I sighed maybe too loud at the irritating voice of Jennifer, the most narcissistic girl in the history of high school. Sure there was Regina George or Sharpay Evans but if you noticed they all became good in the end, but there was no changing this girl. Jennifer Stevens was the real mean girl that high schools hope to never enroll in their school. Now Jennifer was the typical head cheerleader with the blonde hair and millions of dollars and it still makes me wonder how someone like Ryder could ever end up with a cold-hearted, Queen B like her. Ryder gave me a look and immediately I thought I was going to have another panic attack. What if he did see me? What's going to happen? Oh no.

He turned away from me and obviously went to go sit with Jennifer. She made it her goal to make me jealous about their relationship so she smiled at me and made out with him right in the middle of class just to piss me off. And of course, the girl got her way. Yes I still had feelings for dear ole Ryder, but that's expected. He was the first boy that acknowledged my existence and liked me for who I was but that obviously changed.

Thankfully the period ended and right on schedule, the day went with it. I had about fifteen minutes to walk home so I could avoid him but the day wasn't done torturing me yet. The once kissing sun disappeared and down came the typical Enumclaw, Washington rain. No surprise. Sadly I didn't have a car yet so the walk home was long.

"Do you need a ride Sky?" I stopped in my tracks and looked at the Chevy truck that pulled up next to me. "You know you can't avoid me forever Skylar. You're going to have to face me sometime." Ryder gave a sincere look so I jumped into the truck.