STEEL│13

"Passion kills you deeper than death."
- KaseyROAR

● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ●

True to my word, I had stayed away from the gym. But when it came to my yoga class and defense class, it was non-negotiable. All I had done was switch my yoga class from Tuesdays to Mondays.

"I'm begging you here."
"Ashton, if I'm in danger at defense class, I'm in danger everywhere. I am in danger everywhere! You can't keep me locked up in my room. I won't let you."

Clenching his jaw he paces back and forth in front of me, glancing up at me before he lets out a deep breath.

"Could the class come here?"
Shrugging, I frown.
"I don't see why not."

"Then it's settled."
"Although, it's going to be hard to explain why."

Ashton groans as he runs his hands through his hair.

"Fine. I'll be ready to go in five minutes."

"I'll wait in the car."
"No!" he scowls, "Wait right here."

"Ashton-"
"Do. Not. Argue. With. Me."

At the look on my face, he sighs and cups my cheeks in his hands as he stares down at me.

"I need to keep you safe."
I lick my suddenly dry lips.
"I know."

He presses a kiss to my forehead before he steps back.
"Two minutes."

I sigh and head back into my room as he goes into his and pick up my gym bag before I turn around and head right out of my bedroom, flicking the light off on the way.

"Ready?" Ashton asks, startling me.
"Ready," I murmur, pressing my lips together.

As we head down the front steps my phone rings and I pick it up with a frown when I see that it's Quinn.

"Hello?"
"Hey, I know it's last minute, but I can't make it, so classes are canceled."

"Oh," I frown looking at Ashton.
"I'm sorry, my girlfriend has the flu."
"It's okay. I hope she feels better."

"Thank you. Same time next week?"
"Definitely."
"Alright, catch 'ya later."

I look at Ashton and shrug.

"Well, I hope you're up for a run."
"Sure, let me set our bags inside and we'll go."

I stretch using the stairs, and Ashton follows once our bags are safely inside. Then he glances at me.

"How far today?"
"Until I can't feel my lungs."

"Kenna-"
"If you don't want me to punch her in the throat, I don't want to hear it."

Looking somewhat reluctant he nods without a word before we take off.

I begin to jog at a slow pace, until I fall into a steady rhythm, listening to the angry pitter-patter of the soles of my shoes hitting the pavement. It was the way I had taught myself to release my energy, my anger, and that was exactly what I was doing at that precise moment.

I surrender myself to the beat of my pounding heart as I sprint ahead. Sweat beads my forehead, causing my hair to cling to my forehead, my neck, and my throat as I begin to ache for more air. The rush of wind blowing past me causes me to gasp and bolt forward.

As I feel my muscles stretch, I push harder, wanting and needing more. When Ashton catches up, my pace evens out before I take off again, causing my legs to make the pavement fly under me as I rush forward.