Chapter 2 - Unbeatable

Chapter 2 – Unbeatable

Aurora woke to the sound of Zachary’s endless droning. She attempted to tune him out. The last thing she wanted was to listen to him ramble about business—not now. Not while every inch of her body ached, and she was both mentally and physically exhausted. She felt this way after every exhibition. Luckily, they didn’t take place that often. While she’d grown somewhat accustomed to the knife, serving as Zach’s carving board whenever he came up with another “idea”, it was never as bad as during an exhibition. Never so intense.

Aurora turned to her other side and buried her head into the pillow. What time was it? More importantly, where was she? She felt the fabric of the mattress against her skin. Right, she remembered now. After her scarification, she’d returned to Zachary’s shop in the city, headed into the backroom where she usually slept, then passed out into a dreamless sleep.

As she lay there, she was overcome with the desire to stay in bed. Zachary was feeling especially creative these days, and the only thing she could see happening if she headed back to the front of the shop was more torment from his artistic experiments.

Today is going to suck. I have no energy at all. I need a shot.

Her eyelids were heavy, and she tried to open up her eyes, but the fatigue made her groan. The thought of a shot made her smile, but it wasn’t alluring enough to make her move. Not even an inch. Although, a shot would help on the pain.

Her mind debated with her body whether she wanted to move or not, and it seemed that her exhausted body was winning. As things were, she could barely muster the energy to reopen her eyes. Her body tensed up when she heard the door to the backroom squeak; someone had entered. Please, don’t let it be Zachary. She needed just a few more minutes’ rest.

The door closed, and Aurora listened to the faint patter of someone tiptoeing over to her. The corners of her mouth turned up in small smile—she recognized that sound.

 “I know you’re awake,” Lina whispered.

“Of course I am.” Aurora finally managed to open her eyes. The only light in the room came from a hole in the black curtains, and she could barely see her friend. She yawned and fought the urge to close her eyes again.

Lina frowned. “How are you feeling?” The girl squatted down by the side of her bed.

Despite the pain in her back, Aurora managed a shrug. “No worse than any of the other times.”

“You don’t have to pretend with me, A,” Lina said.

Aurora’s eyes burned, so she closed them to avoid shedding tears. It would be too much shame if she broke down in front of Lina.  

“It’s going to be all right,” Aurora whispered.

It’ll always be okay in the end.

“Do you need a shot? I can make you one, if you like.”

Aurora gave a dry laugh. “I’m the one supposed to offer you refreshment, not the other way around.” She propped herself up on her elbows and hissed lowly when her links cracked. “Ouch.”

Lina hurried to support her back. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just … stiff.” Aurora didn’t meet her friend’s eyes. Instead, she fixed them on the wall as she slowly lifted herself up into a sitting position.

The tiny backroom hidden away in Zachary’s shop was all she had—her only sanctuary. Whatever little privacy she was allowed was spent in here. Zachary didn’t bother to enter. He’d always said the room’s aura harmed his creativity. Aurora didn’t have any problems with it, and she loved that he left her alone. Even if it was only for a small amount of time.