7; flashes

BILLY

Goodbyes were bittersweet. At least, that's what people had told me. I've never actually said goodbye to any one who I ever cared about. Now a whole group of my best friends and I, and the girl I love, are splitting up. Shortly after Margret got shot, the units around the school were able to move in with the help of the drawings and resources I delivered to them.
Everyone's parents were here, even my old man. Joey hasn't spoke a word to his father, and even Margret, who was recovering from several serious injuries was trying to get them to reconnect. She is something, huh?
From there on out, everything happened very slowly. Hank and Snuffy left first, followed by Yogurt. We all had stuffy noses. Ricardo was next, and then after we waved him off, all that remained was me and the Trottas.
Joey ran back up to our room and Margret shifted her weight to one side, avoiding eye contact with me.
Dammit. I've got to tell her before she leaves...
We both turned to each other at the same time.
I could see she was gonna say something.
"You first." I murmured.
"I think I'm in love with you." She said, worry spread across her face.
I picked her up and spun her around, setting her down only to plant a kiss on her.
Her face was wet with tears. She raised an eyebrow at me, waiting for a response.
"I love you too, nerd. I've loved you since the you told us how to hide liquor in Gatorade."
She scoffed,"Not my proudest moment."
We stared at each other for a few moments, waiting for one of us to ask the horrible question we had both been wondering.
"What do we do now?" She beat me to it.
"Well, you're going back to New York, and I'll be going back to North Carolina. And, for now, that will have to do. We can visit on holidays and three day weekends and you only have a year left of school after this one, and I've only got a semester left." I say.
I saw her face drop at my words. Joey came down and handed some bags to Margret to put in the car. Mr. Trotta gladly helped her.

Joey and I stood face to face, and I could already feel my throat constricting. Joey was the very best friend I've ever had, and I sure as hell didn't know what I would do without him.
"Pots and pans next week?" Joey said, outstretching an arm, tears nearly spilling over.
"Yeah,man. Pots and pans." I grabbed his arm and pulled him into a tight hug, laughing and crying all at once.
When we pulled away from each other, wiping our faces, I gave him a swift hit in the stomach , which turned into a full on war. Joey looked to the car and smiled weakly. I followed his eyes and saw Margret trying to smile even though she could barely keep herself from shaking.
"You've got one more person to say goodbye to." He said, squeezing my shoulder.
He went up to his sister and said something I could make out, but regardless it made her throw her head back and laugh through the sobs. Joey waved to me one last time before getting in the car.
Margret came towards me, and I almost lost it.
"I'll see you soon, okay Tepper?" She said.
"Will do, girlfriend." I said with a smirk, kissing her and wrapping my arms around her one last time.
She walked to the car and didn't dare look back. She got in the backseat, and Joey got out of the passenger side and joined her in the back, hugging her.
My heart broke into about fifty different pieces. I saw my old man across the road and started to walk over to him, all the while thinking of the girl who saved my life.