Proven Word. Part 1. (Not copy edited yet)

William and the others had made it out of Farnbreth. Heading for the farmland in the north, to where William guessed the other Wardens were, they were seeking out Niha. They found her and her ward with Williams. They greeted the band with relief and Nannanjess allowed time to gather the families and provisions. Leena and her son Jack, Cranes wife and daughter and Farmers wife and son would all be coming, James and Jay would also join them.

 William took time to speak to Niha, a most trusted friend. She was going to stay and her ward with her. William would not tell all, to protect her, but she vowed to stay loyal and to help whenever she could. Williams ward was hers to watch over. Niha would explain away what she could. William was happy to have a friend in Farnbreth.

William and the others were already seeing the consequences of war. The harvest would be poor this year. Many people had left and the fields were untended. Crime was rife. Balor thought of people like Vicnor, profiting by murder and rape. What was to come, no one knew, but somehow they were all aware it would get much worse. They bought horses and with Williams wagon they would all have a mount.

Finally they left, heading along the north road and past the forts, the garrisons of which were now thrown out and replaced by southerners who were accompanied by what remained of Farnbreths warriors. The band was in a low mood. All they had, all their lives were being left behind and what was left was already changing. People they knew had passed away and their communities were crumbling. They were all aware that at some point, a junction that they all missed willingly, they could have stayed. Now their fates were tied to a book, which could be the last of what they had been a part of. Their lives tied to a book and by their word.  They were all silent as they headed out past the forts, just part of the steady stream of refugees. Nannajess and Rook led them out on to the plains away from the main roads. 

The first week saw them settle in to a routine. They were constantly on the move. Waking early and making camp just before dark. Always out of sight. They were lucky, the weather was good. No fires were lit at night, and guard shifts were set. When they were not moving Rook showed them all the ways of the land, how to track, how to live off it. That was always followed by Nannanjess ordering them to train hard at their new skills. The children joined in were they could, having great fun and wearing themselves out, bringing smiles to the faces of all who watched them. Leena, Crane and Farmers wives were never still, helping in everything and keeping them all fed. Nannajess taught them a few tricks to defend themselves, to be used in times of need, but they were not warriors, they did not have the equipment, nor did they want to be. James and Jay were long faced at their lack of weapons and armour, until Nannajess gave them each a sword and made them each a small wooden shield which although crude would serve them well. She would reward them when she could and buy them some armour when the opportunity arose.

They talked of home, but the steady routine kept their minds from it most of the time. Nannanjess was always surprising them by demonstrating that becoming a warrior of her standing required more than skill with a weapon. All those honoured enough to become a guard of the sanctuary or palace had to know their land and that which bordered it, and the enemies new and old, from the southerners, to the old enemies, and creatures of the Great Forest. All matters that involved them had to be learnt. The warriors had to be able to track and live off the land, but Rooks lifetime of experience of the land far outweighed Nannajess's, which pleased him. William asked her to teach them all she could, and so more of their time was filled.  They began to head for the river Farn, which would take them further north and out of Farnbreth. As they put more distance between them and their homes they returned to the small country roads and began to pass through villages. Villages that did not feel the pull of Farnbreth so intensly, but the people still saw the city as theirs, although most would never have laid eyes on it. In the country, they saw and stayed away from the estates of the high families of Farnbreth, believing that such places would draw the attention of the southerners. The villages took little notice of people travelling though, as this had become commonplace over the previous weeks. Days passed travelling through a landscape of rolling hills dotted with woodland, green valleys and villages by streams.