1

I don't believe in magic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those boring people who don't have a life outside their studies or drugs. But magic? I don't think so. I believe in ordinary tales of fascination, like how a silver lining peeks out of a cloud after a dark day. Or how a smile looks after a waterfall of tears. Or how a hungry human looks after eating his first morsel of food. Those things are what I truly believe in.
I was born on a sky bursting with stars and a full moon, gleaming with beauty. I don't quite remember much but I expect myself to be a little baby, pale skin with a head with a few wispy strands of hair. My parents named me Akira, referring to the bright sky above my head. My mother says I was a pretty little angel and all the other nurses were gushing, looking at my face. But she's just bluffing, I guess. That's mothers for you. They do anything for you, to make you happy. Even if they have to lie.
On the contrary to my name, I grew up to be a dull person. I was a student with straight A's and pleased teachers. I was a daughter with a helping hand always and a smiling face. But in my life, there were no sparkles, no surprises. I followed a routine, waking up in the morning, making my bed, studying, helping at home and then going to bed again. I have always been that girl you see at school, with a happy facade stuck at the face. Don't get me wrong, I was happy but that was it. I never had any other emotion. Ever.
So when I walked in the gate of my school on 18th December, 2014, I had no plans. I kissed my mother goodbye and walked past all my schoolmates, greeting every one of them. Yes, my life was a cheesy mess and I did intend to keep it this way. I walked in my class and sat down at my usual seat, the first seat, right beside the window. My English teacher, Ms. Roberts walked in and we stood up to greet her. We started the class peacefully and I was following my monotonous day. And then he walked in.
With skin as flawless as dripping honey and eyes gleaming as if made of rubies, the new boy walked to Ms. Roberts and whispered something. She smiled at nodded at him.
"Attention, class. We have a new student here! This is Liam Smith and he'll be joining us today. Make sure you treat him well and make him feel at home!"
She pointed him to a seat and as he walked over to it, he smiled at everyone who looked his way. He seemed like a kind boy.
At our school, we didn't really have many new people and so by break, he was being swarmed by hundreds of students trying to talk him. We did have the stereotype mean girls snickering at one end of the school but mostly, we were friendly. I sat at my usual place and was eating my lunch when someone tapped my shoulder. I looked up to a a pair of blue orbs looking at me keenly.
"Hey", said the new boy.
I took some time to register his beautiful face.
"H-Hi.", I stuttered.
He studied my face for a while and then a ghost of a smile lingered at his face,"What is your name?"
"I'm Akira. It's real nice to meet you! How is your first day going?",I asked.
Too enthusiastically, I think. Calm down Akira. He must already be thinking that I'm a weirdo. I was unable to drag my eyes away from his flawless features, even almost drooling at them.
"Ah. It's going pretty well. The people here are very kind. Made me feel at home easily!",he smiled at me and my stomach broke into a million butterflies, fluttering their wings against my chest.
He stood there awkwardly until I realized that I should've probably told him to sit. "You want to sit down?", I asked him pointing towards the empty chair on my table.
"Sure", he said and again gave me that smile.
Sigh.
He sat there and we talked about our classes. I learnt that we had 3 same classes: English, History and Maths. I also learnt that he was planning on studying English for his graduation and that he loved to read classics. You didn't get that often. A boy with a godly body, who is kind and who read classics. I was awestruck by him. By the way he shook his head when he laughed. By the way his hair loosely fell on his forehead. By the way his eyelashes were so long. By the way his muscles flexed when he moved his arms.
What was this feeling? Was this the 4-letter word that I always longed to have?
Was this the beginning of my story?