Cute As A Button

“Alexandra!! Get down here! You need to watch your younger brother while I go to work.” What a lovely thing to wake up to in the morning. This means my mom is leaving for work.

     “He’s not my brother!” I manage to yell from under my sheets. My mom married some creep of a guy six years ago. They had a little too much fun one night, and out came their son, Greg. Now he’s five.

     “What?!” She almost screamed. “Get down here now!” I can tell she’s losing her temper.

     I finally get myself out of bed and downstairs. I grab a glass of juice and sit on the couch. Greg is running around in a firefighter’s outfit. He runs into me and spills my juice onto my shirt.

     “Greg!” I yell at him. His face melts. He looks like he is about to cry. “Watch where you’re going, will ya?” I say a little too strictly. Greg starts to cry. My mom comes running in the room as she is putting her heels on.

     “What did you do?!” She asks.

     “That little twerp ran into me and spilled my juice,” I reply.

     “That’s not a very nice thing to call him.” My mom turns to Greg and hugs him. She tries to calm him down as he bawls his eyes out. I roll my eyes and turn on the TV. I decide to watch Bob’s Burgers on Netflix. Eventually Greg stops crying and my mom is walking out the door.

     “Don’t forget he has a playdate at two with Brad. You’ll have to drive him over to Brad’s house. The address is on table. Please walk him to the door this time,” My mom says as she walks out of the door. I sigh and turn to Greg.

     “Who’s this Brad kid?” I ask him.

     “My friend,” he answers as he rubs the snot from his nose on his arm.

     “Cool,” I say sarcastically. “Get me a glass of juice, will you?”

     “You know I’m not alowed to pour a glass. Why don’t you get it yourself, you butt,” Greg says to me so innocently and then with an attitude.

     “What did you call me?”

     “A butt.”

     “You little twerp. You better go upstairs to your room and get out of that stupid outfit. If you don’t I’m not taking you to your friend’s house,” I tell him as I get up from the couch.

     “But I have to go to Brad’s house. We were going to play Power Rangers and watch Dog with a Blog together,” Greg replies.

     “Whatever, just get out of that stupid outfit,” I tell him and walk into the kitchen. I pour my second glass of juice, hoping it doesn’t get spilled this time. I sit back down on the couch to find my brother walking down the stairs with orange sweatpants and a green shirt on.

     “No, no, no,” I say when I see his disgusting choice in clothing. “Go put some jeans on. Those don’t match.” Greg trudges back upstairs and my phone rings.

     “Hello,” I answer.

     “Hey Lexi!” My friend Anna says.

     “Oh hey Anna, how’s it going?”

     “It’s going good. Listen, do you want to go to a concert with me next week? It’s a really good pop punk band. I think you’ll like them.”

     “Sure, when, and how much are tickets?” I ask.

     “The concert’s on Tuesday, and it’s on me.”

     “Sweet. Well, I gotta go. I’m suppose to drive Greg somewhere soon. Bye.”

     “Bye, I’ll talk to you later,” She says and then we hang up. Tuesday. The concert is on Tuesday. One day after my 18th birthday. Today is Wednesday. So I have six days until this concert.

     My brother disturbs my thoughts by jumping on the couch yelling “It’s time to go! It’s time to go!” I roll my eyes at him and get off the couch. I groan and grab my keys. My brother and I drive over to his little friend’s house. I walk him to the door just to make sure this kid is real.

     “Oh hello. You must be Greg’s older sister,” A lady with a too happy of a smile opens the door.

     “Yeah, uh what time do you want him to be picked up?” I ask the woman who must be Brad’s mom.

     “Your mother and I already decided that she will pick him up on her way home from work,” She answers

     “Cool, well I gotta go.” I tell Brad’s mom. I turn to Greg and say, “Remember to mind your manners and all of that stuff that mom tells you.”

     “I will!” Greg whines. “Come on Brad let’s go play with your legos,” Greg says as he runs away with some little boy.

     “Well it was nice meeting you. I hope to see you again sometime.” Brad’s mom is still smiling.

     “Yeah, uh thanks. You too, I guess,” I say and walk back to my car.

     When I get back in my car, I blast Blink-182. On my drive home I stop at Starbucks for some coffee. The cute guy that works there tries hitting on me again. I blush like an idiot and leave. When I get home I put a movie in and sit on the couch for the rest of the afternoon. I decide to order a pizza for dinner. I eat half of it and put the other half of it in the fridge while writing my name all over the box so no one eats it.

     My mom comes home from work with Greg around eight. Greg takes a bath and goes straight to bed. My mom watches some stupid old person show and complains about the idiots at her office. (Like I care) I sit on Tumblr for a few hours and then go to bed.

Here's the beginning to my Dalton Wixom fan fic. Sorry it's kind of slow right now. It'll get interesting soon though! :)