Chapter Five

I curled up at the corner of my bed. Indeed, it was one of those cold nights where nothing seemed possible. I pulled my covers above me, with the constant thought saying, 'I can do it.' But, as a matter of fact, I know I couldn't. I couldn't do it.

It was a few hours from now. Everything seemed like it was going well, going smoothly. Another normal day of work, I thought. But that was only to be ruined by a call.

"Oh god, who's calling now?" I mummered to myself, dragging my legs to my bag and then fishing out my phone.

It was sure to be shocking to have received 15 missed calls from mother, 5 missed calls from Dele and 3 missed calls from each of my brothers. Before I could even decide on who to call back, Dele's name flashed on my sceen.

"Dele calling"

I immediately responded, "what's up?"

There was a pause before I could hear his voice, the slight break in his voice.

"Jasmine... it's.. it's your father," he stuttered.

My heart sank for a while.

Why? What happened? Is he alright?

I sat down, taking a few breath.

"He's gone," Dele continued.

My eyes immediately poured out with tears, as I felt the thug in my heart, I couldn't breathe properly, with the thought of my most beloved father's passing. My phone slipped out of my hands, before I dropped on the floor, pouring my eyes out.

It can't be.

Or can it?

I could ensure that all the while, I was numb. I couldn't feel anything anymore, as I barged into the ward room.

"What happened?" I cried, as Jerome stretched out an arm around me. Jerich then came to us, with Jeremy behind him, both looking as dull as possible.

"It was a sudden heart attack," Jerich responded. The four of us looked at each other, in despair, filled with sadness and tears.

"He's... he's gone," I heaved out, before my brothers hugged me tightly,

"It's going to be okay."

I left the ward room, and before my eyes, Dele stood infront. His eyes filled with the same gloom everyone else were having. I looked at him for a while, before a tear escaped my eye, rolling down my cheek.

He didn't spoke a word, but only a warm, tight hug. And that was exactly what I needed. With his arms wrapped around me so tightly, nothing had ever felt more secure, safe and protected.

The way back home felt more sorrow, with everyone so silent in the car. As mother drove us home, the missing voice in the family was no longer heard.

-

The funeral ended earlier than expected. Well, maybe because of my early breakdown, as soon as I stepped on the platform, saying my last goodbye to father.

I walked towards a small shade, underneath a big, oak tree. I dragged my way to sit on the old bench, as I adjusted my black dress.

"Someday you'll feel okay, someday you won't,"

I started to recite what father always told me, on my worst days. I heaved out a sigh, taking in another breath to continue, before a voice, hiding a million of shattered emotions, sounded beside me.

"If you can go through your worst days in the past, why not now?"

Dele sat beside me, with a half smile, forcefully drawn on his face.

"One day I we on't be here to tell you this, soldier,"

I continued.

"But you've got to fight your war and stay strong."

Dele ended the saying with a tear running down his cheek. I smiled, as I gently wiped the tear off his cheeks. He reached his hand out, locking our fingers together, and then, taking a deep breath.

"He told you the same thing too?" I asked, resting my head on his shoulder; so close that I could hear his beating heart, and warm breath as he spoke.

"One time when I failed at a strike attempt," he responded.

"10 years ago," he added.

We sat there in silence; so silent that you could hear the mayham of crows flying around the tree branches. So silent, that even after the crows had left, you could 'hear' the cold gush of wind passing by your face, flowing through your hair.

"I was at the gym when I heard about his passing. I honestly felt like the world had been thrown on my shoulders, as I struggled to hold onto the weight," Dele says.

"I tried calling you but you didn't pick up the phone so I rushed for the hospital immediately," he added.

He paused for a while, and then -

"By the time I got here, your mother was still on her way with your brothers. Your father was still struggling to keep himself alive and the moment I saw the pain in his eyes, my heart shattered."

I looked up to the level of his eyes, which was filled with tears.

"He told me to give this to you, to his beatiful daughter," he continued, before pulling out a gold necklace with a small heart pendant with it.

"He told me he had heard you telling your mother about your broken necklace, so he had decided to replace it with this one."

I closed my eyes, as Dele locked the necklace around my neck.

Indeed, he will be in my prayers no matter where he is. He'll still be close to me, no matter how far he is, from me.

Everything will be OK, Jasmine.