Prolougue

**OK..please tell me what u think !!! :) --Kat xx ** 

I yawned and turned to face the raindrops sliding the passenger side window of my aunt's silver Mercedes. I didn't want to talk to anyone right now. Especially not my aunt and her stuck up kids. Okay I know I should be "appreciative" or whatever for their taking me in, but all I felt was a clench in my gut and an overwhelming amount of social claustrophobia. 

Once again, my thoughts were interrupted by an awkward attempt at casual conversation by my lovely aunt.

"The kids' school in Tampa is great, Jen. I know you'll just love it!!" The fake smile my aunt Maggie added was the cherry on top to my sundae of annoyance. Did she have to be that cheery? It was already 5 o'clock, and we had been driving since noon. I was grumpy, and sad, and needed to be alone. Not confined in a small vehicle listening to empty promises.

"I'm sure," I replied flatly.  

I ejected her classical CD and turned the radio volume in an effort to silence her.  

My aunt had been forced to take me in after my parents were killed during the fire that torched my house. That's not even mentioning ruining my entire life. It happened a few weeks ago. It was the early morning hours of June 6th.

I probably wouldn't have made it out alive either if my dog hadn't been trapped in my room and went off after smelling the smoke or something. By the time I got out, it was too late for my parents. It was almost too late for me. The firefighters said the fire started from a candle in my parents' room, so most of their stuff burned. But I salvaged what I could. All I had left was what I packed up and brought with me including my black Labrador, Caroline. 

Aunt Maggie switched off the radio as the tires crunched along the mile long gravel driveway. Oh yeah, and my Aunt Maggie was... super loaded. She had money oozing out of her perfectly straightened bleach blonde hair. Not to mention she never looked casual. Even now in her clean cut pencil skirt and pinstriped blouse, I couldn't picture her in jeans. In comparison to her and her apple pie life, I was a mess. Compared to most people, I was a mess. My current outfit consisted of floral print ankle boots, black leggings and a long loose-fitting cream colored graphic tee with a tree on it. My smooth black hair was up as usual; today, in a twist with a clip.

I peered back out the window through the rain and stared at the mansion looming above me that was my new home. My twin cousins, Jared and Jenson, hopped out of the car and raced up the marble steps and the door without a glance in my direction.

I retrieved my bags from the trunk and made my way into the foyer.

"Do you need any help with those?" Aunt Maggie chirped after I'd already grabbed them. 

Fighting a sigh, I replied, "nope, I got it."  I turned towards the enormous spiral staircase and somberly carried my bags up the steps. After walking down a few hallways, I found a door labeled with my name.

I brought my few bags into my new room, which was decent sized with white walls and a queen sized mattress topped with cream colored puffy bedding. The hardwood floors looked spotless and new. A clean slate, I guess. A fresh start. I took a shaky breath and finally let my eyes begin to water as I unpacked my things into drawers and my closet. I quickly composed myself, preparing to face my new life. I padded down the steps to see a tall boy with brown hair standing with my aunt Maggie and handing her a casserole at the front door.

Ready or not, my new life had started.