Mars Bars and Dark Rituals

"I made a cake, but... Well I think it would be safer to just eat this," Zyfer grins, holding out a Mars bar with a candle lodged in the middle. He lifts the petty excuse for a birthday cake – the candle isn't even lit! – up to my face and hums the Happy Birthday tune almost like in a dark ritual.

I'm torn between laughing and just standing there stunned at how crazy my best friend is.

Suddenly he stops his ridiculous humming and frowns. "You should probably take it now if you still plan to eat it. I think my hotness is melting it."

Now I laugh.

"No seriously, Lacey. I'll get chocolate all over my hands." When I still don't react – probably because I am bent double laughing – Zyfer sighs and pokes my ribs to get my attention. "I didn't poison it if that's what you're worried about."

Finally getting back my composure I grin at him. "I know you wouldn't. You'd be a total loner at school otherwise." I pull him in and close the door.

Mirroring my grin, he pulls me into a hug with his free hand. "Happy sweet 16, Lace." he whispers.

Carefully I rest my head on Zyfer's shoulder. I can smell his aftershave and grass and a hint of sweat. It is all so comforting and trusted. And so Zyfer.

When he pulls away – he's always the one to pull away – he smiles his gentle, slightly lopsided, smile. It makes me want to pull him towards me again.

Then he throws the molten Mars bar at my white blouse.

Oh well. What are friends for?