Will We Meet Again?

Will We Meet Again?

Setting: Palace of Versailles (French Revolution)

Day 1: Camillia (July)

I watched as the beautiful, glowing sun rises up upon the dull morning sky. The sky turned more radiant with every moment passes by. Oh how I love looking at the sunrise. I lied down on the grass, breathing in the sweet smell of nature. While reading my favorite book, the Secret Garden, I hear sparrows chirping their lovely melodies, leaves rustling from the wind. I can stay like this forever. But France is not always peaceful.

People are starting to rebel as a result of hunger. When they saw that the American Revolution had created a country in which people had power, they wanted power as well; however, they only have limited power because the king, the nobles, and the Church held most of it. As I think of all the problems outside the palace, I know that I am very lucky to be here in the Palace of Versailles, getting food everyday.

"Camillia!" shouted Cordelia.

"Coming," I shouted back.

Cordelia came and said, "I knew you would be here! We are so late for work, Madame Amaline will scold us."

"Okay," I replied back, getting up from the ground and sweeping off the dirt from my dress.

We ran along the smooth marble floor into the big kitchen.

"You are late! Now go clean the library," demanded Madame Amaline.

 "Yes Madame," we replied in unison.

My mom, Cordelia, and I worked in the Palace. My mom is called Rose Bertin, she is the dress maker of Queen Marie Antionette. My sister and I are servants; we worked for Madame Amaline when we were very young.

After the long walk to the library, we finally reached it. The library is humongous, with rows and rows of delicate books. A mahogany table carved in a beautiful design stand in the middle of all the shelves. Chairs as smooth as silk that are embroidered in Baroque style stood around the table.

We started at the back of the library, dusting and cleaning the books. About 30 minutes later, Prince Adrien walked in with his private tutor, Monsieur Frederick, to the mahogany table for their private lesson. Prince Adrien learns different subjects everyday. Monsieur Frederick is holding a book that is written Politique . It looks like today he will teach French Politics to the Prince. As they sit down, we bowed to them while serving tea and bread. When we were excused to leave them alone, we went back to cleaning the library. Cordelia got bored within a few seconds from the blabbering of the tutor about French Politics, while I was deeply interested on the subject that I have forgotten to dust the books. I eventually know a lot of things from all the time that I have spent listening during their private lessons. I probably knew more than my sister and my mother because they didn't take any interest on politics or history. They were the exact opposite of me. While they make and design dresses, I would rather read a book. It took us all day to finish cleaning the whole library, but we were just in time to help get ready for dinner.

When we reached the kitchen, it was already filled with people rushing around, chefs cooking and servants leaving with a plate of food on their hands. We were each handed a big plate of food to serve in the King's antechamber. We walked carefully, trying not to spill any food, hoping that we will reach soon. We finally went in the gorgeous room; the whole table was full of food, at least 40 dishes on it. We walked slowly, and every time we walked past someone, they would bow at the food. After placing the food gently on the table, we bowed to the King and Queen in a ceremonious manner. They were sitting on luxurious red, velvet chairs that faced out to the crowd of spectators. The room was dead silent, although it was filled with people, no one dared to talk or laugh because King Louis XVI does not like to be distracted while he eats.