Prolouge

People in my generation, teenagers, often can't imagine living in the world our grandparents or parents lived in. Not being able to know how much longer you had live seems like a nightmare to them. People are now obsessed with knowing when they'll take their final breath. Being able to see the years until they die seems comforting to them. For me, it would be the exact opposite. I would be anticipating my final moment, obsessed with time like everyone else is. Then, knowing time could change in an instant would terrify me. Imagine driving a car then taking a left turn. You thought you had seventy years left, but suddenly only thirty seconds remain. Horrifying.

 I slightly push the right sleeve of my hoodie up. The grey fabric is my security blanket in more ways than one. I stare down the blank, digital screen implanted on top my wrist. The tiny 1"x 3" screen is a life or death situation for me. Right now, it's pointing towards death. quickly, I pull the sleeve back down to insure no one sees a thing. Sitting in front of me is Allie. Her blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail and her arms are bare. I look her Clock™. 72 years. The red letters and numbers mock me. My clock doesn't work, which I prefer but the TimeKeepers do not. 

      The Clocks™ were introduced right before I was born. It was this big scientific breakthrough. No one before was able to tell exactly how much time a person had left to live. It made it hard for people back then to say goodbye to the ones they loved when they often missed their passing. Then, the Clocks™ were invented. It made life so much easier for everyone. The years remained constant as the Clock™ somehow knew all the life choices that person would make. It calculated if you would smoke, if you would exercise, or if you would live an average life. Because they became the new fad and everyone was getting them, the government decided to make this breakthrough a law. Everyone had to have a Clock. Not a single one had failed since they were invented, except for mine. And that my friends is not good.