Chapter Three

"Soo... How'd it go?" Jared said with a smirk on his face as I walked into the dance studio.

"Wipe that stupid grin off your face," I said, playfully pushing him. I really didn't need his teenage girl attitude this early on a Monday, "That man is quite possibly the worst dancer in the world. It's going to be a while before I actually start teaching him my dances,"

"Wow, really?" he said, his face twisting with concern.

"Yup, but I have to admit he did start to pick it up a little better by late afternoon,"

"Oh really?" he said, his face contorting back to that devilish grin, "Any idea why?"

I shrugged, pretending not to notice his mood change, "I don't know maybe he started to feel more comfortable with me after we had lunch."

"Oh, you had lunch, did you?"

"Look Jared," I said, giving him an icy glare, "you know about my past. You know all the pain I've been through, and yet you're the one who keeps giving me all this crap. It's just, it's not going to happen, okay? I'm done being burned,"

"I know, Krystal. I know how hard everything has been for you this past year or so. But that's why I want you to take a chance with this guy. He's different. I just want you to be happy Krys,"

I shook my head slightly and walked towards the dressing room. I pulled off my hoodie to reveal a red and black lace panel sports bra and black booty shorts. I wiped a stray tear from my eye as I put on my jazz shoes. As soon as I had fallen apart, I put myself together and marched into Studio 2. I got there just in time to hear Jared's announcement.

"Alright everyone, as you may know, our preformance season is going to be starting soon and I want to do something totally different. We have never been like other companies, with their pointe shoes and ballet buns, but I think this show will be a hit and put us completely over the edge," he flashed a smile, trying to drag out the suspence for as long as possible, "This year's opening show is called Dancing Through Broadway. It's a show featuring popular Broadway tunes, old and new. Now, when I call your name please come up and get your dance list and report to your designated rehersal area. Alexis, Ben H., Krystal..."

I quickly shuffled to the front, eger to get my list. I loved preformance season. The quick changes, the makeup, the long reherals. All of it was worth it in the end. All of it.

As soon as I got my list, I scanned it over:

Group Dances:

Jet Set: Catch Me If You Can (Musical Theatre) (Opening Number)

Love Heals: Rent (Contemporary)

One Short Day: Wicked (Musical Theatre)

Trios:

Doctor's Orders: Catch Me If You Can (Jazz)

Dancing Through Life: Wicked (Contemporary Jazz)

Thank Goodness: Wicked (Contemporary Lyrical)

Duets:

As Long As Your Mine: Wicked (Contemporary)

Seven Wonders: Catch Me If You Can (Lyrical)

Without You: Rent (Contemporary)

What Is This Feeling?: Wicked (Musical Theatre)

I Should Tell You: Rent (Contemporary)

Another Day: Rent (Jazz)

For Good: Wicked (Lyrical)

Solos:

Goodbye: Catch Me If You Can (Jazz) (Finale)

I Dreamed a Dream: Les Miserables (Lyrical)

Live In LIving Color: Catch Me If You Can (Tap)

On My Own: Les Miserables (Lyrical)

I'm Not That Girl: Wicked (Lyrical)

One Song Glory: Rent (Jazz)

Fly, Fly Away: Catch Me If You Can (Lyrical)

Out Tonight: Rent (Hip Hop)

No Good Deed: Wicked (Contemporary Jazz)

Don't Break The Rules: Catch Me If You Can (Tap)

I'm Alive: Next to Normal (Jazz)

There's a World: Next to Normal (Contemporary Acro)

Twenty-five dances. Twenty-five. Unreal. I'd never done this many dances in one show before, and I had to admit, it scared the hell out of me.

Just then Jared came up and tapped my shoulder.

"Congrats. The staff and I chose you to be our featured dancer for this show," he smiled, "Are you excited?"

"And a little nervous. I'm really grateful though, that you guys have so much faith in me,"

"If this show goes well," Jared whispered in my ear, "You might just have a shot at being many of the lead roles this season,"

I beamed at him and scanned the list again.

"Uhh... Jared?" I asked, eyeing the sheet in front of me, "Is there any perticular reason I was only given songs from musicals that Aaron Tveit was in?"

"They're the most challenging dances,"

"Oh, really? Because I think that is the biggest load of bullshit I have heard all week,"

"Hey, you can believe whatever the hell you want," he said with a smirk as he walked away.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. That man had to be the biggest pain in my ass.

************************************************************************************************************

"Come on, girl! Keep it up! You're almost finished!"

I went into my last set of coupé turns, did a chaine out of them, and hit my ending pose, panting. A four minute tap number was not easy, that's for sure. And even though I could feel fire burning in my lungs, I smiled. This is what I live for.

Sheryl, one of the choreographers at the studio, stood up and gave me a round of applause. She was around thirty, with short, wavy chestnut hair and mocha eyes. Sheryl was tall and beautiful, with a gorgeous dancers body and she was one hell of a performer. Too bad an injury forced her into an early retirement a few years back.

"You are amazing. No wonder they're featuring you this year,"

"Thanks," I puffed.

"Your taps are as clear as a bell, but watch your face. It drops sometimes, especially during your turns. Oh, and learn the feeling of the song, too. Don't Break The Rules is different from what you're used to,"

I nodded in agreement. Sheryl was by far the most supportive choreographer, as she was always dishing out complements. However, she knew the trade, and if there were things you could improve on, she wasn't afraid to tell you.

"Okay, well then I guess we're done here. You can go meet Anthony in Studio 2 now for Jet Set,"

I nodded again and made my way out the door. Knowing Anthony, this rehearsal was sure to be interesting. And by interesting, I mean living hell.