Prologue

As I stared down at my friends face her skin growing ever more pale, the roots of her beautiful red hair turning muddy brown, a tear landed on her cheek. Wiping my face I forced a smile and laid my hands once again on her chest repeating the same words I have been the last month. Maybe this time it will work.. just maybe I can save her from a terrible fate. Several minutes go by and it seems as if nothing had changed or gotten worse. Sighing louder than I thought Fern opened her eyes a sad smile upon her lips. She told me everything was ok and that I was to not worry, if she changed then so be it. How can she act so calm when her very being is on the line, her body filled with a disease that is slowly wiping out our race. Closing my eyes I let out a long breathe and told her I was going to try a new spell one that I didn't normally use. One I knew would cure her but doing so would put my life in danger as well. Biting back tears I replaced my hands on her chest and spoke the words I thought I would never need. A cold sweat ran down my back as pain began to envelope my body, black spots filling my vision causing me to slip backward and onto the ground. The last thing I remember is looking up at the ceiling as Fern peered down at me her red hair healthy again and her skin now a pale pink. She caressed my cheek and smiled down at me then left me laying there to die slowly, the Soulers Disease now inside me.