One

Hi!!

This is a story I came up with a long time ago--four years, to be exact. I started writing it when I was 16 and pretty much gave up, but I've been noticing it's been getting a lot of reads and comments lately. Many people have been asking me to update, so I decided to give in. I'm deep into university but I will do my best to deliver to the people, haha.

-Anna

-------------------------------------------

"Do you want to come over to do homework together?" I asked my best friend, Liz.

She brushed through her dark brown hair with her fingers and looked at me with her sparkling blue eyes. "Can't. Mom has me working twenty-four seven when I get home from school. Maybe we can do something this weekend?"

I let out a small chuckle and closed my locker, pulling my blonde hair into a ponytail. "That sounds good. Jobs must be tough, huh?"

We began to walk to the doors to exit the building.

"Definitely," Liz straightened her backpack and paused. "You know, Sienna, you're so lucky."

"And how is that?" I watched the flower petals swirl in the breeze as we strolled towards the parking lot. The spring weather was always so beautiful in my opinion.

"Your parents didn't force you to start working as soon as you turned sixteen." Liz let out an exasperated sigh. "And on top of that, I'm sure they wouldn't make you work every waking moment of your day."

"I'm sure your parents have a reason." I assured. "Maybe they're concerned about money for college?"

Liz rolled her eyes and softly kicked the pavement. "Please. They've been saving for that since I was a toddler."

I shrugged. "Maybe they just want you to get a grasp of the adult life."

"But I'm sixteen for heaven's sake."

We reached her small blue car and hopped in. I always rode home from school with Liz, since we both hated taking the bus. Plus, she had her driver's license, and I did not.

"I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this." I stated reassuringly.

"Yeah, yeah." Liz muttered and put the gearshift into drive.

"Hey, you know it could be worse." I remarked. "Back in the day, people started working when they were little kids. Like, in the factory and stuff."

"But that was a long time ago." Liz argued.

"True," I watched the trees as we drove down the streets. Almost all the leaves were gone now.

I returned my gaze to my friend. "Do you ever wish you could go back?"

"What?"

"You know, like time travel."

"Why would I want to do that? Especially with all the child labor you just reminded me of?" Liz asked in a confused manner, not taking her eyes off the road.

I sat back into my seat. "Well, sometimes I wish I could go back there. To experience the old times, see everything with my own eyes. Not through pictures, but actually living it. And yes, there was bad stuff, but everywhere there's bad stuff."

Liz let out a laugh. "You watch too many science fiction movies, Sienna."

I rolled my green eyes. "I'm being serious."

"Then what era would you visit?"

I thought about that for a moment. "Well, many. But the first I would pick would definitely have to be the fifties."