Destiel | Tombstone | I

Dean stood at the tombstone, off of the ground where the body was buried, a bouquet of flowers in his hands. His body shook, as tears fell out of his eyes without his consent. Dean placed the flowers on the tomb, not daring to look at the name, or the date. It didn't matter anyways, he was dead, and he wasn't coming back. 

     "Damn you! Damn you and everything you stood for, you ass!" Dean yelled, earning a few looks from others who were visiting their deceased loved ones, but Dean didn't give a rat's ass. Dean just shook, with both sadness and anger. "You just left us, left me, and you didn't even think anyone would care! We talked about it, saying, 'Oh, just move on with your life, don't let my death pull you down,' but that's bullshit! You hear me? Bullshit! How am I supposed to move on?

     "You were my family, my family. Who else am I supposed to turn to? My last family member who will probably die like the rest of you bastards? Everyone that I care about dies! I can't even protect them! I couldn't protect you, from . . . from . . . " Dean fell to his knees, then his palms hit the ground where he tucked his chin to his chest, clenching the grass in fists.

     Sobs racked his body, and he barely even heard a person walk up next to him. Dean didn't even notice he had curled up into a ball on the ground, grass clenched in his hand until a calm palm touched his back.

     "Dean-" he started and Dean just shook his head. He spoke through his sobs. "I know, I know. I'm supposed to let him go, move on with my life, just like we all talked about. But how? How am I supposed to move on from him?" Dean asked him. He uncurled himself, and forced his sobs to stop flowing as he wiped furiously at his face, dropping the torn grass from his hands.

     He stared at Dean with hard eyes. "Yes, you are Dean. We all are. One day, either you're going to die first, or I'm going to die, and one of us is going to have to move on or else the sadness will drive us mad," he told Dean and Dean just growled, turning away from him.

     "Is that what you're doing? Huh? Moving on? Or, did you just never care?" Dean asked angrily, turning back towards him. "No, Dean, of course I-" Dean just growled angrily. "Cared? Is that why I'm the only one being a blubbering baby over here? Crying because I couldn't protect him?" Dean asked him angrily, pointing a finger towards his chest with his teeth clenched.

     "You can't blame yourself for everyone Dean, people die, and people live. It happens every day, whether you like it or not. And you know what people do? They move on, because that's what you're supposed to do," he told Dean forcibly. 

     "Who cares what I'm supposed to do? I sure as hell don't! Of course it was my fault! I was supposed to protect him, and I failed. Therefore-" "Therefore you move on. He made his decision. Living this life, he could've chose differently, we all could've, but we didn't. We chose to live this dangerous life instead of a safe one, because that's who we are, Dean. It's who you are.

     "You have to accept the fact that he's gone, and it wasn't your fault," he told Dean, feeling frustrated the he still wasn't getting it. "And then what? Forget?" Dean asked, calmed down slightly. "No, of course not Dean. You remember him, you remember what he would've done, and respect his memory. You honor his memory, and smile at the good times you had, and that's what you remember. The good times, the bad times, all the times. They all lead back to him, but those were the precious seconds you had with him. You remember them, and him, and you smile, and then you move on. You keep going, because that's the only way anyone will survive," he said as Dean looked back at the grave.

     "Sammy-" "Would want you to do the same, Dean. I know I'm not your brother, and I never will be, but he'd want you to move on," Castiel insisted as Dean looked back at him. "Cas . . . thank you," Dean told him and Castiel smiled softly. "It was no trouble, now come on, let's go," Castiel told him and Dean reached for Cas' hand, intertwining their fingers.

     "Goodbye Sammy," Dean whispered hoarsely before Castiel pulled him with him as they walked side by side, hands intertwined, and memories of Sam going through their minds.