Geriatric Surprise

Culebra Island, Puerto Rico

"Thank you for your patronage, Mr. Greene," John intoned. "We hope you'll return to Harmony."

With the bill settled, Thomas pressed his hand to the small of Pippa's back. He leaned close, "We should come back sometime."

Pippa only laughed. "I brought the car around."

Thomas felt loose shoe strings slap the top of his foot, and he kneeled to retie his oxfords. Papa Pablo was in the tiny backseat of the car, hidden by a blanket and the dark window tint.

Fffffft! Pop!

The glass sliding automatic door shattered in a rain of diamond sparkles as a bullet whizzed over him and lodged in the pillar behind. People screamed.

"Where the hell did that come from?" Thomas grabbed Pippa's hand and dove behind the nearest dustbin. "Pippa," he said. "We have to get to the car. Bulletproof windows."

"Oh, I don't know," Sunshine deadpanned in Thomas' ear. "Do you ever wonder what you'd do after this job, Thomas?"

The stress had been too much. Sunshine lost his mind. Thomas yanked the earpiece out.

From behind Pippa, Thomas peered around the edge of the metal cylinder. Another shot rang out and crumpled the side of the trash can. Thomas pulled Pippa against him. The shooter squeezed off three more rounds.

But the shots stopped.

Thomas listened. Somebody whimpered behind the front desk, maybe John. Thomas eased his head into the air.

A yellow-haired, rail of a man leaned on the driver's door of his car. A bodyguard stood by, sniper rifle in one hand, pistol in the other. "Come out with your hands up," the lone figure called.

Thomas reached for Pippa. "Come on. Let's see what this is about." He pulled her to her feet.

"Throw your gun away." Thomas did, and together, he and Pippa exited through the lobby entrance.

As they eased around the running car, as planned, Thomas could just make out Pablo's form hidden under a blanket.

"Well, Thomas, here we are."

Thomas' mouth twisted. "Sunshine." The word was more a statement than a question.

The young villain crossed his arms. "Don't make any sudden moves. I have men all over the grounds."

Thomas glowered.

Sunshine pointed to the body guard. "You. Keep your eye on her." He jerked his head toward Pippa.

"Yessir," came the gruff reply.

Thomas asked, "What do you want?" Pippa's gaze met his. There was the tiniest move to her chin.

"I want the formula," Sunshine demanded.

"The audacity." Thomas' laugh was long and raucous. The window lowered. If he could keep Sunshine talking...

"I know you have it." Sunshine's voice became a petulant whine.

"I don't want to tell ya, kid," Thomas shrugged. A barrel showed just above the driver's door.

Pop!

Two prongs launched from the taser and lodged in Sunshine's back. Thomas threw himself at the body guard. Pippa was close behind.

Pablo cackled from the back seat. "Got him. Got that stealing, murdering son of a bitch."

Thomas had the Glock trained at the bodyguard's head before he could do any more damage. The man dumped the weapons into the bushes and lifted his hands into the air.

Without much coaxing, he confirmed that he was the only one assisting William "Sunshine" Payne, and between them they had decided to sell the "Pablo formula" to the highest bidder.