Ch. 3

Daniel wondered if his father looked at all the available soldiers and picked the one guard he would have trouble getting along with the most. Just like there were many book genres he'd rather not read, there were a myriad of personality types he preferred not to get involved with. Such individuals included loud, boisterous life-of-the-party people; all of which Thomas personified. Granted, Daniel had only known him for an hour, but it was enough.

After stuttering a panicked spiel about privacy and boundaries, the soldier had snickered and exited. Through the door he had broken, he had carried a one-sided conversation with the prince who refused to humor the guard with a response even after he was finished with his business. Surviving with his decency, relief filled him up, but it didn't last long.

A bellowing chime echoed throughout the hectic corridor. Daniel cursed, quickening his pace. With quick strides, he carefully weaved through the flood of servants ushering down the hall. Every maid or butler he passed carried a tower of plates that threatened to topple amongst the clamorous movement. In spite of his strenuous efforts to evade all contact with the brunet, he was continuously pulled into the other's side to avoid crashing into multiple sets of fine china.

"So, your majesty, are you going to tell me where we're going or will we have to play a game of charades?" Thomas inquired, hot on the prince's trail. The scruffy leather heels of his boots pressed into the carpet with an annoying swish; the metal plates of his armor rattled against each other.

"Library," Daniel answered back with a frown, narrowly dodging a butler carrying two trays of wine glasses.

"But that's so boring," Thomas whined. "The sun is out, why don't we go out and play, or even steal some cheesecakes from the pantry?"

"I-I can't, it's mandatory," he replied, although on the inside, he wanted to agree.

The second activity he detested the most besides going outdoors was attending boring lessons on sophisticated politics with snooty tutors. It's not that he hated the subjects— at least not all of them— it was that the teachers were lackluster in their attempts to inspire interest in their lecture, but still complained to Father when his grades returned with red marks. Why should he be forced to learn a curriculum filled with rubbish he held no enjoyment in? Especially rubbish he'll never use in his lifetime.

However, no amount of disdain he projected on the system could alter his disposition, so smoothing his blond hair back, he continued walking.

Thomas trailed behind him, jutting his bottom lip forward in an exaggerated pout. "That is so not cool," he complained.

A spark of guilt struck his heart. Just because he was required to do lessons, didn't mean he had to subject others to the same torture. He fiddled with his fingers. "You can go... train or something."

"'Course not, your majesty, it's my duty." Thomas grinned at him, just as boyish and bright as before. Yet, no amount of facial control can hide the slouch in his shoulders.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I won't mind."

"It's fine."

"Really, I won't!"

"It's like you want to get rid of me," Thomas teased, wiggling his eyebrows. He waved his hand in the air. "It's okay. I love going to the aviary."

Daniel frowned. "Do you mean the library?"

Thomas nodded. "Yes, that's what I said. The apothecary."

He sighed.

They continued down the hall, reaching the tall grandfather clock that had chimed earlier before. When the small hand moved, a void swelled in the prince's chest.