1

Jordan brushed through her hair gently, starting from the ends and working her way up to the roots, she didn't need to look like she was thinning while she was at Press Play. She misted heat protectant over her hair before taking up strands of straight hair into her hands and wrapping it around the curling iron, releasing long bouncy curls moments later. 20 minutes later, she was finally done. She had given up on trying to make each layer look perfect, so she just sprayed in some hairspray and ran her fingers through it. She looked in the mirror and smiled slightly at herself. She looked ok. It was rare when she felt somewhat confident, even rarer were the days she felt confident before going to an event.

"You almost ready!?" Her friend shouted from Jordan's bedroom down the hall. Layla came bounding out into the hall, skipping down the aisle as Jordan said,

"Yea almost. Just finishing touches."

"Ok good. We should leave soon so we can try and meet the boys at the hotel!"

"I know, I know," Jordan filled in one last spot in her eyebrows before nodding. "Ready."

The two of them trotted down the stairs. Layla in front, wearing high-waisted denim shorts, a loose-fitting crop top, and her long blonde hair tied up in a high ponytail. Jordan followed closely behind wearing a flowing dress made of flower-patterned fabric. Simple white sandals strapped over her feet, and she decided to pull her hair back so it was half up, half down.

"Ok you two, do you have everything?" Jordan's mom asked.

"Yea I think so," Jordan shrugged, looking to Layla.

"Phone? Wallet? Keys? Jacket? Debit card? Sharpies?" Jordan pulled each item out of her bag as Layla ran through the list, checking everything off before they headed towards the door.

"Be safe! I'll see you in a couple days!"

"Bye, mom!" Jordan waved as she walked towards her car.

"Bye, Mrs. S! Thanks for letting me steal her for a few days!" And with that, the two of them climbed into the car, plugged some music into the aux cord, and pulled out of the driveway. Next stop: Press Play Phoenix.

••••• 2 hours later •••••

"Ok, so we will check into the hotel and put our bags down, load all necessary items into purses and small backpacks, then head down to the lobby. Sound good?" Layla read off from a note she had made in her phone.

"Sounds like a plan!" Jordan giggled and she turned on her blinker, finally taking their exit.

Turn right at the intersection in 800 feet.

"There it is!" Layla screamed. Both of the girls started cheering, Jordan pounding the wheel with her palms excitedly. They pulled into the front entrance, putting the car in park and grabbing all their bags. Jordan thanked the gentleman who took her keys, handing him a 5 dollar bill, and continuing inside with Layla as he went to park her car.

The place was huge. Floors laid open on all sides of the hotel, traveling at least 10 floors high. "Hi there, we have a reservation under Michaels." One thing Jordan had always admired and was envious of about Layla, was her confidence. Confidence practically oozed from her pores, and you could feel it as soon as you entered her space. Jordan had always struggled with feeling good about herself, and although it had gotten much better over the last few months or so, it was still something she struggled with most days. To anyone else, Jordan was actually quite beautiful: her tan (half black, half white) skin, her light brown eyes, her long brown hair (which she could wear naturally curly or straight) and her petite form. She just couldn't see it in herself and she didn't get why others saw it.

"Ok let's get in and out of here and head back down to the lobby," Layla stated. Jordan nodded in agreement, putting her game face on as Layla opened up the door and rushed inside. The two of them laid their bags down on their respective beds, unloading the purses they had packed, and stuffing them full of the essentials. Layla was taking a few moments longer, so Jordan used that time to check her makeup, make sure her eyeliner was still crisp, her foundation wasn't oily, and her eyebrows were-

"Jordan lets go!" Jordan rushed out the door following Layla down to the lobby.

••••••••••

Layla's outfit is the photo above. Hope you enjoyed! The PP crew will be introduced in the next chapter!