Chapter 1

It was seven years ago, when I was eight, that my parents decided it was time for me to start growing up. I learned that Santa wasn't real, the tooth fairy was just a scam, and that the Easter bunny was just another one of those elaborate hoaxes.

I cried for what seemed like weeks.

Now, being fifteen, I realize how much of my life was wasted in believing in those idiotic stories, believing in that stupid, make believe world. This must have contributed to how I found myself asleep in my fifth period math class, wasting even more of my life.

"Ward," a voice whispered to me. "Dude we got a test tomorrow, wake up."

I lay there stubbornly unmoving. "Ward!" The voice whispered, louder this time, as I felt something cold placed against the nape of my neck.

I suddenly shot up from my seat, trying my best not to yelp in surprise.

"Darren!" I hissed at my mischievous friend. He stuck out his tongue out playfully wielding a cold, reusable water bottle covered in condensation.

I had known Darren since I was six years old ever since the day I shoved him off the monkey bars and he broke his wrist. We've been best friends since, even if he must torture me in an endless scheme to 'get me back'.

Darren was very handsome, and had dark brown eyes and tan skin, he contrasted heavily to my pale blonde hair and skin tone that was directly related to the ratio of how often I saw sunlight.

"What are we doing?" I questioned suddenly remembering we were in class. Wordlessly, he handed me his notes. "You're the best."

"You know it."

***

It wasn't until after the bell rang during passing period that Darren and I discussed our plans for the weekend. Always, we made a point to see each other even if it had to be over homework.

"We could go to the arcade," I stated.

"Quarters are such a pain to lug around," Darren countered. "We could go to the beach."

"I'll get sunburnt." I thought for a moment, "how about we just walk on the pier?"

Darren pondered, " Sounds like a plan, mate." With a playful shove, we parted ways.

With a sigh, I continued along my way down the hallway to my next class, science. The class that contributed to the destruction of my childhood the most. It was just something about how everything seemed to have a long, boring explanation about everything that just seemed to ruin all of the fun.

"Any questions?" My teacher asked, her expensive heels clicking against the tiled floor. "No? Then get to work!"

Without hesitation, the room erupted with noise as desks were pushed together, earbuds plugged into phones, and anything and everything except work.

With a sigh, I tiredly placed my head on my desk.