Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Agent Vilet set his hand on wife's shoulder, and she stepped aside. "The missing time. Now I see." His eyes flattened as he mentally reviewed my testimony.

See? You don't see shit. No one was ever supposed to see what Stone did to me. I dug the heels of my hands into my eyes. I could lie, say nothing happened. Rape was something else. Something that happened to other women. Weak women.

"She never lies. She just evades." Sam didn't look at me, which was my only consolation—that he didn't see me cower at the sound of his voice.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Sylvia tapped her toe like the world was on fire. Probably glad to have the heat off her for the colossal flop of psychiatric observation.

"We can't just arrest him, dear. She'll have to make a statement. Which means we need...details." Vilet cleared his throat. Not much made him this uncomfortable. "I think we already know the when and where."

The missing time indeed, genius.

"She's not ready for details," said Sylvia. "I completely ambushed her, and I'm sorry. But my blunder can't stop you from holding him. Sexual assault of a prisoner or witness in a federal case puts him under our jurisdiction. NYPD Internal Affairs can't clear him this time. You can get her official statement later."

Vilet, ever patient with his ramrod wife, said, "You know I need more than your assessment to call for a warrant. It's up to Miss Larson now."

I pulled my hands up inside my sleeves. Jesus, would someone turn on the heater in this room? Everyone stared at me. Everyone except Sam, who'd frozen in place. Speaking in front of him would be the worst part. Like spreading Stone's assault to a new victim.

"Doesn't matter what I say. Without evidence, it's just my word against his."

Sam's body tensed on hearing my confirmation. Details or not, clearly he'd not wanted to believe the truth.

Sylvia jumped in. "You'd be surprised how they can find evidence. And your word as a woman counts here and in the court room. We can protect you from retribution."

I laughed and glared at her husband. "Save the speech for someone who hasn't been screwed by the system."

Mallory was too quiet, probably figuring my miscarriage was Stone's kid. God help her keep her big mouth shut.

Vilet said to his wife, "I believe it's time for you to render your help to this case, and to Miss Larson."

"I'm fine," I snapped. No wife of his was going to get her turn bashing my brain against a wall for another six weeks. "I'm fine. Just fine." I looked down at my leg twitching like I was on speed.

Sam whispered my name, his attempt to calm me. He'd been quiet so long, his voice felt like a hot razor slicing through my remaining resilience. Then my little hero, Max, came up and nuzzled my thigh, giving me an excuse to ignore the others and huddle with my one indifferent ally in the room.

"You've got to stop this man," said Sylvia. "Today, before he hurts any other women."

"He already has." My voice was barely above a squeak, but that silenced the chatter.

After a moment to swallow my meaning, Sam cursed under his breath. He held his head in his hands and muttered, "The prostitutes."

I nodded into my chest, unable to repeat Stone's confession about abusing the working women he'd detained. A good hard cavity search always shuts up a whore.

Vilet stared into space, his fist covering his mouth. Abruptly, he turned to Mallory, addressing her with his calm, formal voice. "Call downstairs and make the arrangements, Agent. I want the warrant expedited."