Chapter Eight

Disclaimer: It is highly recommended that you watch episode 24, Volpina, before reading this.

"Oh, not again!"

Adrien sighed and rolled out of bed. Literally. He crashed to the floor with a THUMP, blankets half-wrapped around him like a poorly assembled burrito.

"I thought the nightmares would have stopped, now that you know Volpina can help you!" Plagg commented.

"They did, but I'm still having weird dreams. With Volpina in them. She was standing by Ladybug's side and stuff." Adrien attempted to kick off his blankets. "She said we were going to Italy."

"Why?"

"Je sais pas, Plagg! It makes no sense! Why would we go to Italy when Papillon is here?"

"Dreams aren't always reliable. For example, last night I had a dream that I could eat infinite cheese all day long. And look! There is no cheese as far as the eye can see," Plagg moaned melodramatically.

"Yes, what a catastrophic turn of events." Adrien finally managed to get the blankets off of him.

"CAT-astrophic?" Plagg suggested.

Adrien ignored the pun and readied himself for the school day laboriously. When he finally arrived at Francois-Dupont, he realized that Marinette was talking to Lila, who wasn't even in their class.

"Salut, Marinette!" Adrien greeted his girlfriend. She gave him a warm nod, but otherwise ignored him and continued chatting with Lila.

Lila said something that made Marinette laugh, then slung her bag over her shoulder and left for her class. Marinette sat down in her seat and mouthed you'll find out tonight in reply to Adrien's somewhat quizzical look; or at least, that was what he thought she mouthed. It could have been cool vans out, you knot. Adrien hadn't been paying attention to the actual message she was trying to say rather than her lush and kissable lips.

As she had predicted, later that night another one of Papillon's victims was wreaking havoc on the city of Paris, and the superhero duo was on the scene as always. What they didn't anticipate was Volpina. Or, at what Chat Noir hadn't anticipated.

In fact, when he saw the tan-orange suit jumping towards him, he panicked and for a second thought that Lila had been re-akumatized. But hadn't Ladybug freed the Akuma?

He pointed his staff at her warily. Volpina looked upset, and crossed her arms. "What?"

"It's okay, Chat Noir, she really is Volpina," Ladybug assured him.

"I know! What will we-"

"I mean, the real real Volpina. She actually has the fox miraculous," Ladybug corrected herself.

Volpina squinted at her. "How do you know that?"

"Um, I know some students at Francois-Dupont, where you go," Ladybug improvised. Lila hadn't shut up about it for days. Everyone knew she had (stolen) the fox miraculous.

"Wait, so she doesn't know you're-"

"Nope." Ladybug smiled. "That'll be fun, huh?"

"Wait, do you know each other's identities?" Volpina accused.

"Yes, but it was by accident," Chat Noir jumped in, hastily. "We were never supposed to know and... um..."