Prologue

Lawrence, Kansas
22 years ago

In a nice neighborhood in Lawrence, several suburban homes sat. One in particular, the Winchester household was about to meet a horrible fate.

A woman, Mary Winchester, her blonde hair swaying as she walked in her white night gown, to the nursery with her 4 year old son Dean, a small boy with dark blonde hair and beautiful green eyes.

"Come on, let's say goodnight to your brother," said Mary as she turned the lights on. Laying in the crib was her youngest son, Sam, a sweet baby with hazel eyes and not a hair on his head.

After setting down Dean, he went over to the side of Sam's crib and kissed him on the forehead.

"Night Sam," Dean exclaimed at the same time Mary lent over to kiss Sam's forehead and said the same. As this occurred a man, of 6'2 with dark brown hair, walked into the room.

"Hey, Dean" said a deep voice, the voice of the father, John Winchester. Turning to see his father, Dean ran up to him.

"Daddy!" Dean yelled.

"Hey, buddy" said John, while picking Dean up. "So what do you think? You think Sammy's ready to toss around a football yet?" John asked jokingly.

"No, Daddy" said Dean as he shook his head laughing, causing John to laugh, while agreeing with him.

Mary passes John and Dean on her way out of the nursery. "You got him?" Mary asked. "I got him" John replied, hugging Dean closer.

Walking over to Sam, John looked into his crib and said, "Sweet dreams, Sam." After saying goodnight to his son John left the room with Dean in his arms, switching the light off in the room. Sam watched them leave gurgling, while trying to touch his toes.

The mobile above Sam's crib began to spin on its own, the clock on the wall stopped, and the moon-shaped nightlight flickered.

***

In Mary and John's bedroom, Mary was asleep in her bed. A light flickered on the baby monitor sitting on the nightstand next to a photo. A strange noise could be heard coming through the monitor, causing Mary to stir and wake up. Turning on the light sitting on the night stand Mary called out to John. Turning she saw he wasn't in bed.

Walking into the hallway, Mary walked down to Sam's bedroom. As she got to the doorway, Mary saw a man standing over Sam's crib. Assuming it was John, she called out "John? Is he hungry?"

The figure turned his head and whispered "Shhhh."

"Alright" Mary replied.

Mary headed down the hallway and saw a light flickering. Frowning, she tapped the light till the bulb steadied.

"Hm" Mary uttered confused.

Walking downstairs Mary saw John asleep in front of the television. Realizing the man in Sam's nursery was not John, Mary hurriedly ran up the stairs.

"Sammy! Sammy!" Mary yelled. As she entered the nursery, she froze.

***

Downstairs John awoke to Mary's scream.

"Mary?" John questioned, before getting out of his chair and running upstairs yelling her name out.

John burst through the door of the nursery. "Mary" John exclaimed once again, finding the room to be empty, except for his youngest son. After glancing around the room John pulled down the side of Sam's crib.

"Hey, Sammy. You okay?" asked John, before a drop of dark red liquid dropped down next to Sam. After touching the liquid, two more drops landed on John's hand. Looking up, John discovered Mary on the ceiling, her stomach slashed and dripping blood. John collapsed to the floor staring at Mary, horrified.

"No! Mary!" screamed John, before Mary burst into flames, the fire spreading over the ceiling. As Sam started to cry, John stared frozen up at his wife. Realizing his son was still in the room, John grabbed Sam, and ran from the room.

Coming out of his room and into the hallway Dean stood curious, wondering what was happening in Sam's nursery.

"Daddy" Dean yelled as his father exited Sam's room, with the baby in hand.

Shoving Sam into Dean's arms, John yelled "take you're brother outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!" causing Dean to turn and run down the stairs.

Seeing his children running to safety John ran back into the nursery, hoping to somehow save his lovely wife.

"Mary!" John yelled as the entire room was consumed in flames, burning bright and hot. "No!" John screamed in anguish.

***

Outside the house Dean stood with Sam cradled in his arms. "It's okay, Sammy" Dean cooed at his baby brother. Looking up at the house Dean could see Sam's nursery up in flames.

Not a minute later, John ran out of the house, grabbing Dean and Sam in his arms running from the house. "I gotcha" John said just as fire exploded out from Sam's room.

***

After a while the Lawrence fire department arrived to put out the fire. Across the street, John, with Sam in his arms sat next to Dean on top of a black 1967 Chevy Impala. Looking on at their burning home, John Winchester knew life was about to change for the Winchester family, or what was left of them.