Prologue

Prologue

  Everyone grows up with the game truth or dare. It’s just something everyone has at least tried once in their lives. The game’s intended to make you do something or say something foolish in front of the rest of the players. It’s supposed to innocent. But like every game sometimes people take it too far. Dares will be called out that send some people in wild robbery rampages, guilt and depression or in some cases even murder. But the games still plays on because it’s just a game right. The wishing box started as the same type of thing as truth or dare. Just a game between a small group of friends that just so happened to be juniors in the high school of New Bancroft. New Bancroft was a quiet town with not much mystery, crime or anything out of the ordinary. The small suburban town rested around a lake at the edge of one of an ancient forest in Indiana. You wouldn't be able to find where it was unless you knew it was there. So naturally the town was very tourist free

   The idea of the wishing box started in a game of truth or dare. The group of people playing decided that these dares should be a secret. That you should write down what you wanted someone to do and whoever pulled your ballet out of the hat (Or the box in this case) would get to choose if they wanted to take the challenge. The box was once just Lisa Marly's old jewelry box that was hidden on the east side of Bench Park the huge park wrapped around White Knife Lake that was in the dead center of New Bancroft.  The box was tucked in between two trees that lined the picnic tables at the east side of the park. Just like the town you wouldn't be able to find the box if you didn't know it was there.

 Word of the wishing box game spread and the jewelry box was too small to hold the mass amount of cards that came in per day. So Eddie Kenston got his dad to build him two big boxes with mail slits in the front for people to drop in their wishes and doors on the back for the challengers to take the wish cards that lay waiting. The first box had been big enough to hold all the wishes so the second box became the return policy. Once a challenger had completed a task they were to return the wish card to the second box. And just as Lisa’s jewelry box did once before the new wishing boxes were placed in between two trees at the edge of the picnic tables.

 For two years the wishing game was played by the children of New Bancroft. The boxes resided in the same spot and the edges of the wood had smoothed out from years of weathering. The wood was also littered with graffiti of shooting stars and other things that resembled wishes. The most harm that ever came due to the wishing game was detention or a month long of having to take out the trash. The game remanded the same when everything else in New Bancroft seemed to be changing. It wasn't until after two years of the wishing game that it took a turn for the worst.

   “Aren't you coming?” Jordan Edwards whined to her twin sister Lauren. Lauren swung open her locker door and threw in her English book not bothering to look over to her sister.

  “I have some stuff to take care of and you can walk home alone can’t you?” Lauren said giving her a sister only a five second glance. Jordan tried not to let her eyes widen but she was turning pretty pale “What are you five?” She joked and Jordan gave her a played shove into her locker door.

 “No it’s just mom going to be pissed when I show up without you.” Jordan said her voice much more confident than her appearance. Lauren was now looking in her mirror making sure her honey brown hair looked perfect. She had been asked by Hudson Muddlers the eighth grade's hottest jock to meet him on the north wall of New Bancroft’s middle school. The girls were twins but you wouldn't be able to tell they were even related. Jordan’s hair was golden brown and very wavy, whereas Lauren was a pretty multi toned honey blond and dead straight and Jordan was taller and less filled out then Lauren. The only thing the two of them had in common was their eyes color which was a warm forestry green. “But I can wait for you.” Jordan suggested.