Chapter 1: Festival Conflict

"Where are you to go then!?" Nikki asked as her eyes widened. Her clearly frighten emotions over run her face.

"I don't know, but this is not the place I shall live if I am left once again." if mother was alive I wouldn't be like this!" I screamed. "tomorrow is my fifteenth birthday and the father-" I was interrupted

"chief, you know he dislikes when you call him father" Nikki looked at the leaves all over the dirt  forest floor to avoid looking me in the eyes. She felt guilty. "Leaving is not the answer though, you'll die in the wilderness, the next village is many moons away by foot, that is if they allow you in. Look at me"

"I am you are the one that hasn't been looking at the whole time." I responded

"No, with Your eyes"

I was hesitant but closed my eyes. opening it up softly i could feel it change. The sensation gave me a relief. But I felt uncomfortable changing in front of her, my sister. She was the only one that would speak with me, besides the small children in the village. Even at that their parents attempt to isolate me from their children. Nikki dug her hand in the puma skin pouch around her shoulder. She took out a mirror, that we found on the trail of the other village years ago. When the villages were not in combat and blood shed. 

  Times have changed just as many people have. We guess it was traded from large mother lands where grown men are afraid to step foot in our land. But now we stay deep in the forest, by the shore of the never ending river, home to the many monsters of the world. Nikki placed the mirror in my hands, now standing and began towards the village. Looking in the mirror, my reflection dazzled me. My eyes! I have kept them hidden for so long I forgot how it felt. There was no longer any white on my eyes. All blue as the sky and the crisp and sharp line down the middle. The eyes of a snake. Many call it a curse or the work of evil sorcerers, and the voodoo clans down south. 

    They were truly hidden deep in the jungle, it is as if they disappeared but it isn't like a single soul here wishes them in the area. The elders have declared me as the future down fall of this village. They wished me dead but my scaled family prevented harm from reaching me. Opening my mouth, allowing the venomous fangs hangs down below the lower row of teeth, into a socket in my jaw. My mother viewed me as a gift, our savior, but her opinion had no sake in the matter. Every one viewed her to be an adulterer for my father could not make such a baby. A cursed baby as they addressed  me to be. Only a woman, the woman of the chief, my fathers. No loyalty was kept for I was over looked and neglected once my mother passed, and father attempted to murder me. All the same he is my father and leader, and my head still on but am supposed to be astray from my five brothers and single sister, Nikki. Nikki and I had never been able to stay without each other, what are we to do awkwardly look at each other from other sides of the tribe.  

She had always found the fact of me being able to control reptiles at my will, and me looking like a reptile my self fascinating. But this way of life is not fit for me. Shunned. Neglected. It is not fair, so I wish to leave. Far a away where a leader will see me as not a threat. Where they don't mind me having a fifteenth birthday ritual.  This was no such place, I can see why other tribes may wish blood shed on us with war. Closing my eyes and opening softly once again I could feel the human blood rush through my veins. My eyes back to their human looks, I never have them out usually especially while walking through out the tribe. But every one knows what is of all ready under them these false eyes. It was magic that was for sure. 

  But I wouldn't change it for the world except for the life of my mother. Hugging the mirror to my chest and making my way to the tribe and into my grandmothers hut. The frail old women, once a warrior but now may brake with one wrong move. She is of whom I live with sense I am disowned. I lay there in the corner of the wood hut, with my loudly snoring grandmother. there I lay for the rest of the night. Morning came and the light seeped through my eye lids to burn my eyes. I didn't wish to wake nor move, today was my birthday and I get to watch Nikki and several other girls get there fifteenth birthday ritual. I must watch from a far. Getting out the hut and out into the open, the heart of the tribe. I walked into the forest as tears rolled down my cheek. I walked and aloud my self to have MY eyes. Walking far enough that I could no longer hear any of the noise from the tribe.   I was now in the place I spent most of my time, the elder tree. Snakes around here  colorful and massive, can swallow a croc whole. The rocks of the dirt floor stabbed at my legs as a sat. 

  The largest of the snakes, mono, slithered his way down the tree. wrapping his slithery scales around my neck and rested his head on my head. The coldness of his skin touched upon me. There was no fear, not a single reptile especially shall hurt me, it was other creatures leaking about that feared me. Standing when I heard the sounds of floor twigs cracking. Crunch after crunch I couldn't tell wether or not it was a puma, leopard or what. The sound did appear to be coming towards but more of around. It was man! I heard the voices of raged man. The coughing and cackling traveling. Quit a number of too, an army? We were at war and our warriors away not to return instill the summer festival. 

   The tribe left venerable. The were close, close enough to see some fraction of there bodies through walls of vines and leaves. They were going the wrong to the tribe but they would find it once they were close enough. Noise and music and celebration would start soon for the ritual was to begin now. I tip toed through the forest, with Mono on my shoulders. The noise was more and more distance as I ran towards the tribe. But I was close, the roaring of the elder horn was blown. It rang my ears and rattled my head, it also bothered Mono enough to slide down my arm to the floor. He was not leaving though, he was making his way to the tribe. I feared what he was to do and hoped he would't do anything jerastic. I ran to the altar where the birthday girls there then me sat in front of the fire on the platform to elivate themselves form every one else. The people of the tribe line around the altar. 

"Stop, we must stop, stop the chants, the men of the colonies, they are close!" I screamed Every one looked at me as if i had three heads. I put away my eyes then. Mono slithered up my leg to my shoulder again. The people moved away from me because of fear of the infamous. I looked at Nikki, she looked at me and shook her head with disappointment. "I'm serious don't just sit they are coming, we must be prepared, we have little time." I screamed. The people stepped back and faces me with faces of disgust.

"leave hear witch, you have no place, here, you are just jealous!"my father said as he walked toward the edge of the platform

"leave hear witch, you have no place, here, you are just jealous!"my father said as he walked toward the edge of the platform. His shadow cast in front of me even though I was a great distance away from the fire he was standing in front of. 

"no one wants you here leave, out into the forest where you belong!" father shouted, his words stung my heart. He was still my father. I walked off to hide the tears now flowing from my eyes. Nikki didn't move, only sat and looked down. The people began to chant and dance once again. But I was leaving. The pain of my own fathers words corrupted me. My eyes puffy and red as I walked towards the river.