Chapter 8: Nightly Visit

Chat Noir paced the empty streets of Paris, the bright store lights reflecting off his leather suit dazzlingly. The only sound to be heard was the rhythmic taps of his boots on the pavement and the enhancing murmur of the waters in a canal.

He buried his heavy head into his palms, wondering what he was doing, what was to become of him. Adrien had confessed to Nino like it was nothing at all, and the memory made him instantly recoil with regret.

It's going to come true now, isn't it, Chat Noir winced, making his way though the dark and up a building. I'm going to live a life in fear with everyone knowing who I am...what am I even doing? This is what I was trying to avoid in the first place!

Thinking that no one was out, Chat decided to perch on a railing, staring out at the Eiffel Tower as soft winds blew through his mane. He sighed, not knowing what to do.

"Chat Noir?" A hushed female voice piped up from behind him. He turned around to spot who it was, freezing up in fear. "It's me, Marinette. I think we've met before." She continued, inching forward hesitantly. Chat Noir breathed a sigh of relief, hopping down from the glassy railing.

The two of them locked eyes, both facing their own internal struggles. For a moment they both felt a strange connection, her subconsciously straining to see who was behind his leathery mask.

Marinette gestured for him to sit down next to her, smiling sincerely. "I've been going through some stuff lately too. What's bothering you?" She looked like she genuinely wanted to help him, as an equal, and not as a crazed fan.

"Well," Chat Noir began slowly, "I told someone my secret identity out of pressure. I just felt like I could trust him, but now I really regret it. I've also been having these weird dreams and sudden flashes of me being exposed that way, I don't think I made the right choice."

The whole time, Marinette listened sympathetically, nodding and giving advice. She patted his knee comfortingly, surprised at such a deep and sudden rant.

"On the bright side, Ladybug likes me..." Chat Noir finished, smiling giddily and blushing red. He stood up, looking down at Marinette with concern. Her eyes were widening by the second, and she seemed to be unaware that it was getting colder out.

"Ladybug-who-what?!" She exclaimed a little too loudly, standing up with astonishing speed. "Chat, you see the way that she rejects you, right? That can't possible be...! I mean, y'know." Marinette fumbled for words, trying her best to sound unsuspicious.

"No, Mari, er, Marinette, not me directly! It's complicated." Chat Noir laughed. "Thanks for listening, though. I'm glad you're always there for me, number one fan." He gave her a cheesy wink before strutting to the side of the balcony.

He hopped onto the roof below, taking one last look at her startled expression. Chat Noir frowned at her lack of enthusiasm to be flirted with, before disappearing into the murky night.

Marinette breathed a faint 'goodbye,' pulling her lightweight jacket further up her neck and shivering from the wind. She clambered back inside the hatch to her room, the thought what on Earth Chat Noir could have meant imprinted in her mind for the rest of the night.