Lay Me Down

Modern AU

To him, you were just a regular customer in his tea shop, who came in every Monday and Thursday after work he assumed. Levi had noticed you a while back and had taken a sort of...interest in you. You were one of the more attractive customers that had come to his tea shop, but you were also the only one who came back frequently, the others normally tourists.

To say he was in love with your looks was an understatement though, for how could he possibly love someone he hasn't ever talked to? If you ever actually gave him the time of day, just maybe he would actually fall in love with you, it was possible indeed.

But here he watched you, behind the counter, black apron on making tea as you came in once more, it being Monday evening, a bit later than normal. You looked the same, except he could see through it all. You had dark bags underneath your eyes and your eyes were red, as if you had just cried your beautiful heart out. "Can I have some Jasmine tea with sugar, please?" You asked as he nodded, you reached over into your purse but his hand on your arm stopped you.

"It's on the house today." He wearily smiled as he saw you smile as well, though that smile you had didn't reach your eyes.

You went over and sat in your normal spot, on the left side of the cafe, by the window that spanned the size of the wall. His teashop was higher up on the second story, and the third story being a lounge and some restrooms, along with his office where he did the taxes and paid the mortgage.

He took off his apron and yelled at Hanji to take care of the shop for the next however long it took, as he brought you your tea, the sweet smell causing you to actually smile a little.

What you did not expect, was for him to have the exact same tea and sit across from you, that, caused your cheeks to turn slightly maroon.

"Are you alright?" He asked with concern laced within his deep voice, as he took a sip of his own tea.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why you you ask?" You asked as your eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, you didn't know exactly what that meant.

"You're obviously not fine, you can tell me." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, as he didn't make eye contact.

Wait, was he blushing?

You were smiling like a child on the inside, but on the outside it didn't phase you much. "I'm sorry, but I don't really know you that well." You frowned as he did as well.

"But I'm sure you want to talk about it, like how I've been meaning to talk to you for a while now." He retorted as your eyes widened, he had wanted to approach you, and talk to you? It didn't seem too common for someone like this.

"I mean, you can't just fix how I'm feeling." She scoffed as her eyes rolled, he was walking around the room, and moved a few tables together, patting on it for her to lay down with him.

They both laid down, staring up at the ceiling as he sighed, "I know, but that doesn't mean you don't need to talk about it."

Of course, he knew every little advice scheme nowadays. You scoffed at his words, what you were going through wasn't any of his business, but at the same time, you had the urge to just sit here with him all night, confessing and crying.

"I would rather not talk about it." You shrugged as you saw him turn his head over to look at you, but never would you meet his gaze.

You almost forgot other people were still in the shop too. "Is this okay? Like there are other people here as well, I'd rather not." You cringed at the thought, you had completely ignored everybody else around you, they weren't all looking at you though, it was as if this was normal.

"Oi, Hanji. Get these people out, we're closed now." He ordered a girl with glasses on her face and head to do, as she nodded, informing the customers as they grumbled, but were somewhat satisfied that with their next visit they would get free tea on the house.

Hanji bid her farewell as well, and it was utterly silent once more as he waited on you to speak.

"My father is in the hospital." You sighed out as his eyes widened slightly, it was an expected answer, but still surprising nonetheless. "He has Cancer, and it's just...shocking, y'know?" You shrugged again, even though you could feel your eyes heating up. "I mean, I'm a nurse and I'm doing whatever I can to make sure the doctor knows what he's doing, but still, I just work with all these cancer patients, even though they're kids, and I just, never expected it to happen to me." You blurted out, eyes watering up, it was inevitable that you would cry now.

"...Is that why you look like you haven't been taking care of yourself?" Levi asked as it went back to being silent again.

"Well I-" You began sobbing into your hands, wiping away your tears as you moved your hands from your mouth. "I don't work in the hospital he stays in, so I stay the nights with him and I don't get home until about four in the morning and even then, all I can really do is shower and sleep some since I have to be at work by eight." You were freely crying now, the tears streaming down your face as you felt a hand other than your own wipe them away.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm here, don't forget that." He said calmly, with some worry laced in his voice. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear, as your heart shuddered at the contact.

"Thank you Levi." You murmured as you say up from the laying down position, and got off the table. "But I must go see him." You apologized as he sat up as well, nodding.

"Hey Y/n?" He asked as you were about to leave.

"Yes, Levi?" You asked as you turned around to face him.

"If you have time later on after this all blows over, would you mind doing this with me again, but like as a date?" He asked with a faint blush on his cheeks as you grinned.

"I would love to." You smiled at him as it felt nice, you hadn't smiled in a while, and you knew your eyes were sparkling. Because you enjoyed the man who laid down with you and pushed his troubles aside to hear yours.

You walked out the doors as you smiled to yourself, heading to the hospital.

It was the little things you had grown to love about him.