Chapter 1

Chapter 1

  "Ah! From Angeles." Eadlyn ripped at the paper, pulling out the final entry. Abruptly her smile faltered as she began to read out the last name."Mr Kile Woodwork."

My book dropped onto the floor with a bang as I tried to adjust what was happening. There were several mixed reactions in the room: some gasps, some laughs.

I saw Eadlyn pulling in a breath, clearly feeling just as sick as I was, but she quickly regained her composure. "There you have it. Tomorrow, advisers will be sent out to begin prepping these thirty-five candidates for the adventure before them. And, in one short week, they will arrive at the palace. Until then, join me in congratulating them."

King Maxon and Queen America started making their way towards us and followed right behind them was Eadlyn.

As we approached each other, our eyes met. She was clearly waiting for some answers. "I didn't do it!" I insisted.

"Does that even matter?" Queen America said. "Anyone of age is allowed to put his name in."

King Maxon nodded. "That's true. It's a bit of a strange situation, but there's nothing illegal about it."

I look at the king imploringly. "But I don't want to be part of this."

Eadlyn looked confused. "Who put your name in?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know. It has to be a mistake. Why would I enter if I don't want to compete?"

From the corners of my eyes, I could see the queen looking at my father, it looked almost like they were smiling. There was nothing funny about this, that's when I knew this was all planned. I'm going to have to speak to my parents after this.

Suddenly Eadlyn protested, "Excuse me! This is unacceptable. Is anyone going to do something about it?

"Pick someone else." I offered.

But my father shook his head, "Eadlyn announced your name in front of the country. You're the candidate from Angeles."

"That's right," the King agreed. "Reading the names publicly makes it official. We can't replace you." He seemed to give me a sympathetic look to say 'sorry'.

Still annoyed, I rolled my eyes. "Then Eadlyn can eliminate me the first day."

"And send you where?" She asked. "You're already home."

Ahren gave an unexpected chuckle. "Sorry," he said. "That's not going to sit well with others."

I want to travel around the world and build architectures, I want to do more than read about things on the other side of the walls. Sometimes I think one more day behind these walls might kill me, I feel like a bird stuck in a cage with no means of escape.

This was my chance. "Send me away," I offered.

A familiar firm voice rose in the now silent room. "For the hundredth time, Kile, you're not leaving!" My mother said firmly, this always seem to be the case when I mention the slightest thing about leaving and exploring what's beyond these walls. My father wrapped his arms around her, whispering something into her ear.

"You want to go somewhere else?" She asked incredulously. "Isn't a palace good enough for you?"

They don't understand, non of them do. "It's not mine," I said as I raised my voice. "And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm over the rules, I'm over being a guest, and I'm so over your bratty attitude." As much as I regretted the last sentence, it wasn't all untrue. She always thinks she's superior to everyone because of her status, she's not even queen yet!

A hard thwack strict the top of my head. The whole room gasped. "Apologise!" She commanded but I'm not so willing. Why should I? I was just stating my opinion.

I pressed my lips together, looking down at my feet. I could see Eadlyn crossing her arms, looking back at me waiting for an apology.

After a forceful shake of my head, I muttered a simple "sorry" under my breath.

She looked away, clearly not satisfied by my 'apology'. This made me want to smirk, you can't get your way every time, princess.

"We'll move forward just as planned," the King said, easing the uneasiness surrounding the room. "This is a selection, just like any of the others. It's about choices. Right now, Kile is one option of many, and Eadlyn could certainly do worse."

Great. I stared back down at my feet, unexpectedly letting my embarrassment show.

"For now I think we should all get some food and celebrate. This is a very exciting day." Eadlyn said.

"That's right," General Leger agreed. "Let's eat."

"I'm tired," she said, making her way towards the door. "I'll be in my room."

We all watched the door close behind her.